Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

I've heard/read (although I can't accurately remember the exact source) that one of the doctors in the cast who worked at Cedars in LA (which was supposed to be the in-show analog to Cedars of Lebanon (now Cedars-Sinai). When the hospital opened a branch in the town of Springfield, the doctor (or a couple) moved to work there and other members of the cast gradually followed along until Springfield had completely supplanted Selby Flats as the setting of the show. I've also read that TPTB picked the name "Springfield" because there are more towns named "Springfield" in the US than any other name. I've also heard that the show simply stopped referring to the location as Selby Flats & just morphed the setting into Springfield without any actual explanation. I do know from having read numerous accounts that when Mike & Hope Bauer were transplanted to Another World that they NEVER made any reference to the town the were from mainly do to the fact that the show was, at the time, in the process of changing locales. Whether this was during the transitionary phase where the characters are physically moving or the didn't mention the location because TGL had stopped mentioned the location in prepartion to simply rename the setting Springfield, I don't know.

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks Matt and Carl! I know I read in the Soapcentral Bert Bauer profile that she and Bill moved to Springfield and only knew the Frazier couple, but I was curious because Robin and other characters were still on into 1967.

Also, does anyone know the exact year Sara married Joe Werner? I have heard from several places it was either December 1970 or 1971but their all different.

• Members

I figured. Was it a pretty short-term thing just to wrap up Nola and Quint's disastrous return?

How long was Michael Tylo around as Quint during all that? Why did the recast happen?

(Sorry to pummel you with questions, but there's so much knowledge floating around this board and the DVDs have spurred a lot of curiosity in me!)

• Members

Tylo first appeared in February or March 1996, for Henry's funeral. Longtime fans had been angry about the writing for Quint (leaving Nola for a young assistant), and Quint returned with this woman for the funeral. The show belatedly realized that they should bring him back permanently, and he came back around early fall, trying to win Nola back. Michael Tylo was gone for a while in November and December, I think, which is when Josh Taylor filled in. (At the time some fans preferred Taylor, as he had more spark, at least - he was nothing like the corpse he's been over the last decade). Tylo returned and was then fired by paul Rauch; his last appearances were in January 1997, at the Cedars ball.