Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

It felt like 5 years.

I only got interested in GL at that time because of Annie, then the clone and then a bit later because I knew Carlo and Maggie from OLTL (Thom Christopher and Crystal Chappell) had moved there thanks to the soap mags. I was beyond baffled by the San Cristobel story and the endless parade of overly lit pastel suits, big titted blondes, etc. The whole show was just garish and loud.

Frank Grillo turned out to be very talented in films but I didn't understand how he was supposed to be Roger's son or whatever. I remember the rumors about people hearing him and Wendy Moniz banging through the walls.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think under Curlee/Demorest, Hart was used more as someone who could propel characters such as Roger and Blake in certain directions. Blake no longer being her daddy's sole child, whose approval he often sought and which she would use to her advantage, and Roger constantly trying to prove himself to Hart that he could be a decent human. It became more apparent Hart had a short shelf life when MZ and SS departed and with the constant recasts and revolving door of writers. 

I recall there being a scene between Reva and some of the natives of SC back in 1999, who were black. From that point on, most of the extras for the SC scenes were white. Typical Paul Rauch MO. 

• Members

I'd forgotten how many kids Cassie had. Tammy, one with Hart, one with Richard and didn't she and Edmund try to have a kid too? Calm down, woman.

One of the first episodes I recall watching of GL had Phillip and Beth stuck on a mountain after a plane crash, was that in San Cristobel?

Sounds about white.

• Members

Beth, Cassie and Harley all had like 6-10 kids between them by the end. I couldn't keep track of them all. Plus many others for other women on the show. It was the precursor to what became of AMC in the last years of the network show, and GH today. Breeding and endless babies vs. any more risky stories (with a side of Wheeler's Mormonism).

Didn't Beth and Phillip literally videotape themselves dying on that mountain for their daughter lol? And then I think inadvertently filmed themselves fùcking. Rauch!

Edited by Vee

• Members

In diametrically opposed news, I have dug into some of the 1966 episodes of GL. I see one of Agnes' lesser-known archetypes from both AMC and Loving recurs: The poor little rich kid/soft boi, in this case Don Scardino's adorable Johnny Fletcher, along with her classic teen romance angle with Fran Myers' Peggy (previously only available to be seen in eps where she is suffering through Roger Thorpe over a decade later). I mostly know poor sweet Don Scardino from getting slaughtered in Cruising, but what are ya gonna do.

• Members

Hearing that San Cristobel was a location for longer than necessary reminds me that I was familiar with GL before Soapdish. When I belatedly saw that movie, and before I knew that fake nations/islands were a trope long before '91, I was impressed at what I thought was accidental foresight.

• Members

IMO..I don't know how "talented" he is in films..his relative is a producer at Marvel and he just plays a guido in each film/TV series. He got cast as he was a hot piece of ass...(how he stood out from the thousands of hot pieces out there I don't know) and that was that...totally inappropriate for a Central Illinois farm boy but he would have been really good as a Santos (and I do think he has a certain talent..not just in that role.) And it was Hunt Block who said it in an interview..that he could hear his costars banging in the next dressing room and I don't think it was the Danny actor an whomever his Chele was at that time. I know people hated Block on ATWT..but he I always liked him on both shows.

And I think you summed up Rauch's GL quite well, overly lit, garish with big Tits being thrown around..and I think Rauch would be proud of that!

• Members

Nude photos of him were published in a photography book around that time (although IIRC he wasn't thrilled when people would ask him about it), which probably helped. This was around the time Mark Mortimer was cast on AW after his most known role being posing on packets of underwear (Mortimer did eventually become a decent enough actor). 

• Members

No, Paul Anthony Stewart would not have been screwing any of his Michelle actresses, you're right about that. I heard Laura Wright tell recently about how bad a crush she had on him when they were on LOVING & how she was pretty sure he returned the feelings & everyone tried to tell her but she just had to figure it out on her own. 🫵🫰

Please register in order to view this content

And, the other thing people often point out about Paul besides the overlit, specific styles & colors of clothing for the women, is that he would start fighting & wouldn't even realize someone agreed with him & would keep fighting.