Guiding Light discussion thread

• Replies 12.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering about both. Gunther was there one second and gone the next. I was wondering if there were clips of his demise or of Quint mourning him. 

Also, if people wanna do a DID story correctly and not for shock value, Carrie Marler's is the one to study. 

Do you think that because Marland was instructed to wrap up Carrie's story differently, which led to his departure from GL, that he went on to tell the story somewhat how he wanted to on Loving? Wasn't Lily given DID?

• Members

I don't think so.  I think one of his last stories for ATWT, which was Royce Keller's ordeal with DID, comes closer to being that attempt.  IIRC, Marland's original projections for the Carrie story called for Carrie to kill Jackie Marler while under the influence of one of her alters, which was pretty similar to how Royce's alter, Roger, would murder Royce and Lucinda's half-sister, Neal Alcott, years later on WT.

But I DO think that because ABC forced Marland to wrap up the Lily Slater story earlier than he had wanted, Marland took the opportunity with WT's Angel Snyder and her abusive father, Henry, to tell THAT story (meaning, of course, incest) the way he had planned to on LOVING.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I totally forgot about Royce DID story. 

Seeing as you pointed it out, it was like Marland got to finally tell the stories he wanted to tell on ATWT, which was his greatest work of art. Sad ABC wouldn't allow him to tell the story he wanted to tell with Lily Slater either when he co-created Loving. 

• Members

And the Lily story was his second take at the incest storyline after trying it on "A New Day in Eden." On "Eden," Emmett Claybourne, a scheming lawyer who worked for the electronics magnate Bryan Lewis, had an unhealthy attachment to his daughter, nursing student Cynthia Claybourne. Emmett had tarnished his ex-wife's name many years ago and run her and their son, Logan Claybourne, out of town. Logan returned to Eden to learn why Emmett had been so intent on keeping Cynthia. When Logan started getting closer, Emmett fled Eden, but not before a scene where it was alluded to that he raped Cynthia. In the final episode, Logan seemed to be getting closer to learning the truth, but he was shot by an unseen intruder. Cynthia, a bit frigid, was getting closer to Jack Wagner's Clint Masterson after his girlfriend, Pam (the one who had the lesbian one night stand with Miranda Stevens), faded from the story. 

• Members

I suspect so, as Mart was the only one I can remember who Marland denigrated to that extent in an interview. I can't remember anyone else in TGL cast having bad press in 1981.

This was posted on the ATWT thread, but I didn't see it here (apologize if I missed it). This includes a brief snippet of Roger and Hillary #1, played by Linda McCullough.

Edited by zanereed