Guiding Light discussion thread

• Members

Were the Bauers originally named Baum?

I always thought that ED's Blake would end up being Beth. 

So the Bauers and the Spauldings lived next to each other till the end of the show? Alan's bought a house for his family. Was this where he and Hope were staying?

Ross's house was Ben McFarren and Amanda Spaulding's old place?  

• Replies 13.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

If my memory is correct, the Spauldings and Bauers did not live next to each other, but their back yards were adjacent.  Ed commented that the Spauling house was "up the hill" from his house, implying the Spauldings lived in a nicer neighborhood.  I believe this was Alan and Hope's original house, but not sure if that was supposed to be the Spaulding Mansion we saw in the last 20 years of the show.   I think the detail that the two properties were adjacent was forgotten by later writers.   

• Members

Yes, their backyard's were adjacent, that is how Alan and Rita got up to their..canoodling! But it was supposed to be the "smaller" house boring Hope wanted.(sorry but ER's Hope was dull as hell, no man wouldnt choose to get with Rita instead of her..) .but later just became the mansion...as late as JFP the yards connected...(Alex is trying to find out info from dimbulb Lucy at the Bauer BBQ and suggest she could show her the mansion, they just needed to go through those hedges and they would be in her yard.."  During Long's time the Lewises, Chamberlins and Spaudlings all lived on "the Hill."  I am not sure if the Bauers did as the backyards connected...and I can't believe I am writing about the georgraphy of a fictional town.

• Members

I read that the Bauers were first called "The Baums" from a history book. Whether it's true or not is anybody's guess. I don't think any of us were alive back then to listen first-hand. Unfortunately. I would tend to think that it's true because it seems way too random a piece of information to be made up.