Y&R: Branco interviews Paul Rauch

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How can you say that when 90% of the interview is about his past career in daytime and talking about Irna Phillip and not specifically about Y&R?

He said himself, he's not invovled in writing, so what is he really contributing to at Y&R? His production values have been lackluster, as Thursday's US episode showed perfectly how bad things have gotten.

He's been toxic on all of his past shows, and he's pushing what, 80? Yeah, I don't think he'll be at Y&R for too much longer. So if he isn't fired soon, I don't think he'll last that long at this show...

Maria Arena Bell talked about a new opening, what, almost a year ago? It has yet to happen. I'm not holding my breath, especially with the countless lies that have come out of the mouths of the people running this show.

• Members

He sure know how to get rid of the black characters & the black viewers all together. I'm surprise Y&R don't read the people history before they hire them. Maybe they did & aiming to get rid of their black viewers.

Y&RWorldTurner was he prasing CK. I'm sure that's why some people don't want him fired.

• Members

Yeah, the minority population on his past shows have sucked.

But he said Maria is in charge of all the writing, he just produces her crap. So, I don't think he's to blame for how bad things have gotten in the writing. The recent crappy production values though? Hell yeah, I blame him.

LOL! This interview was hardly about his experience at Y&R as it was about his past career and Irna Phillips. Since he has no involvement in the creative process of the show (he said he doesn't get invovled in the writing), I don't understand how one can jump to the conclusion that he knows what he's doing and he's good for this show.

But again, this is Rauch's swan song in daytime, he's really getting up there in age. So, I don't expect him to last too long at Y&R regardless.

• Members

I agree about Thursday's show being produced horribly. But Y&R doesn't do scenes like that very often so it's not a huge problem. Most of the time his production values are top notch.

IIRC, Alvin, a year ago you were talking about Rauch as if he were the best thing since sliced bread. His history on other shows and his age didn't seem to bother you back then...

Maria said "Hopefully we can get to that soon". Paul said "We will update them. I promise". It sounded much more definite from Paul, and he's the one in charge of the technical stuff.

Oh for God's sake. :rolleyes: The only two black characters that have been let go by MAB and Rauch have been Tyra and Ana, and they were almost universally disliked by viewers. And Lily is the lead heroine of the younger crowd (regardless of how un-black you think "CKLily" is, the CHARACTER is black). Yep, they REALLY hate the black characters.

Why do you even care about how many black characters there are? Personally I couldn't care less about skin color.

I hope you're not referring to me. You're the one who's obsessed with CK. I can take her or leave her.

• Members

No, I acknowledged he's had a problematic history at various soaps, but compared to what Josh Griffith was putting out, I thought he would be a definite step up. While he is in certain areas, the show has imploded creatively, and the production values are getting entirely bland or horrendous.

I also acknowledged his age and that this would probably be his last time in daytime. But again, I thought it was be step up from what we had before, and sad to say, I cannot say that anymore. This show is a disaster on most, if not all levels.

If Nelson were smart, he would have grilled him on all the problems impacting this show. But then again, since Rauch says he doesn't get invovled in the writing, it probably wouldn't make a difference.

I've found the camera angles bland, the wardrobe horrendous, the hair horrendous, the set design gag-worthy, and some music choices bizarre lately. A good technical producer should be on top of all these things, it doesn't look like anyone at Y&R is trying anymore.

Promises, promises. I'm not believing anything until I see it for myself.

Didn't Maria say a new opening was in the works? Maybe I'm wrong and forgot her whole quote. But that hasn't happened if she did in fact say that. I'd assume she'd be the one in the definite know, since it's overall her show.

I know this reply wasn't directed towards me. But Lily can have all the screen-time she wants, but it doesn't change the fact that she almost never interacts with her family, and her family members have been ignored from day one with this writing regime.

• Members

Ok... I LIKE what Nelson said about liking a show that doens't "lay everything out" and allows you to play armchair psychiatrist. This is ONE aspect of the Patty Jane SL that I have enjoyed. I know alot of people want everything laid out for them, but alot of people ALSO have no imagination whatsoever...and need everything spelled out for them like a grade school child. Now, as far as Rauch goes.. his ballyhooing the ridiculous Old WEst SL on OLTL gives me SERIOUS questions on his taste level. But then again, I don't like anything that even APPROACHES unrealistic. I enjoyed readin his thought on Irna Phillips, and I agree with him that she didn't like anthing taboo... that's why I felt for the modern age, Bill Bell was the right successor for her throne.

• Members

His "knack" for "big production values" hasn't exactly shone through on his GL, or on Y&R. Colleen's godawful, pretentiously-written "Heaven" episode was trying to do What Dreams May Come and instead it just looked like someone had run the background through MS/Windows Paint and hit "Solarize Photo."

Try it, you'll see!

Archived