Y&R: Episodes discussion, week of September 14

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This reminds me of OLTL when they had Grace die and die and die and die underneath the Buchanan boathouse, like they were somehow trying to punish fans for not liking her character. I think that lasted for a week At least this is one time where Y&R's fast pacing manages to dull out some of their sadism.

• Members

Structurally, it was more interesting than I expected. My typo from yesterday said the episode would cover 60 minutes. Instead, it was 6 minutes. That makes sense...and I think was an intriguing way to play out the "life flashing before eyes" and then "guardian angels take to heaven" pieces. Brad was a surprised, although I confess that I was surprised that Diamont agreed to come back, and that he shaved. I wonder (timewise) when that happened? And if Bill Spencer Jr. will appear beardless on B&B? (I hope not). And then I realized how such shallow thoughts prove I was totally not "into" the death. I'll watch again with more concentration...

The attempt was good, I think, to try to wring some emotion out of the death of an important character played by an actress virtually no one could summon any interest in. I don't think it worked...but I give them kudos for trying to find emotion when there was none in the performance.

The lingering question, of course, is why they didn't just send Colleen to New York (even off camera) and let the character rest? I guess the answer is "to ramp up Victor's isolation and his war with the Abbotts". But seriously, the whole Mary Jane incident has put plenty of fuel there...they didn't need this on top. All in all, this will prove to be a highly senseless death. Pointless. Limiting.

Oh well. "So it goes".

• Members

That was terrible. I can't get behind this because even in the short term they aren't selling it. When LML was murdering the show she at least sold it in the short term (most of the time). This entire week has been underwhelming and poorly produced. Why not just go on location for the entire week?? Other soaps can cram it in so why can't they? It's too jarring to go from the dreadful studio set to the location shoot. Colleen's death and Patty's destruction have been for nothing. I will never forgive or enjoy watching Patty after this. You KNOW these awful writers who never have the balls to move on (Kevin, Gloria, etc.) won't write Patty (or Adam) out.

It's a shame how unwatchable Y&R is. I feel like if this were modern GL or ATWT or DAYS or AMC people would be happy with this kind of writing. That's why critics are so easy on Y&R. It's finally at the level of modern soaps in terms of quality. It's sad. Y&R always aspired to be more than this. Kay Alden and Jack Smith at their worst felt more like Y&R than this. Now it's destined for this mediocre quality that the other soaps are reduced to.

• Members

Patty and Adam can't go. They drive the plot. They exist to cause misery and shock us.

Those Rauch production values left me in awe again. Like when Vanessa "died" on GL briefly and her Heaven was a white backdrop and Maureen Bauer in a white hoodie.

Archived