Clip from Morley Safer's Notebook re: Guiding Light

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I find his comments regarding the demise of the genre interesting. He truly views it as antiquated...as a device for selling soap to housewives who no longer exist. He also almost seems to chide those who expect soap longevity (he refers specifically to actors), saying they viewed them as a kind of 'annuity' that would pay for life.

As a bona fide outsider to the genre, I find his comments interesting, because I do think they speak to the demise of the genre.

In here, we see so much gnashing of teeth about the creative failures of soaps.

But, alas, it is this outside perception of them as antiquated...as last-remnants of radio days...that may have done them in. I suspect what happened creatively is much less important. As remnants, I doubt there is any serious creative choice that could have lured a vanishing audience.

• Members

I LOVE Morley!! And how poignant and telling is this, a piece done on 60 Minutes on Guiding Light and soaps from the CBS network LOL!!! 60 Minutes (where so many people tune in to watch)!! Oh heck, CBS just promoted a much younger deputy CFO to CFO and with that comes new ideas. I completely agree with his comments about the actors specifically, truer words have never been spoken.

Archived