Y&R: How long will it take to improve?

• Members

Our show has been hacked to bits. Let's assume tomorrow, Hogan/MAB/SH(it-for-brains) are nixed. We have 3 weeks of their material in the can, then we get new writers. Doesn't matter which writers, for our own vision it's exactly the writers we want, or if we want new blood it's new writers

but - given even IDEAL circumstances, how much time is it going to take, or will we have to give, to turn this show around? The standard 6 months? Longer? Do we need to clean stuff up and re-route characters? It isn't going to happen overnight, as it didn't for MAB to become almost universally loved while cleaning up Latham's mistakes, and then tank to this.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's not three weeks, it's more like 8 or 9. Unless the show goes off the air for a few weeks to retool everything (which'll never happen) there are already about two-three months worth of episodes in the assembly line. So you're probably looking at October-ish for the new stuff to start airing. Who knows how long to get out of certain storylines. Probably another couple of months to get the characters where the new HW wants them.

I really don't think it's going to happen for awhile though. Not unless the ratings really nosedive to the 2.0's. And even then, MAB will probably not step down, just hire a new team.

• Members

Keep in mind, almost every new writing regime starts off strong for the first 6 months to a year. They're bringing the previous regime's stories to a climax and they're putting into motion their first batches of stories that they had time to develop properly.

As for this current Y&R writing regime, as bellcurve stated in the Potpourri thread, look how many times people have said give it time with people like McTavish, Guza, Passanante, and yes Sheffer, and it never does. This current team does not understand this show and why it was so successful.

• Members

Ratings are already hitting new lows again and MAB already caused the worse ratings erosion in Y&R's history. What's it going to take to get her and her henchmen out of there?

Surely, Sony can intervene, since they own the majority stake in the show. Surely, someone at CBS can impose pressure. Surely, Maria and Billy will come to their senses.

What good is a new team gonna do when the ringleader who reeked havoc with two previous regimes is still there?

• Members

Nobody really pays attention to "record lows" except the internet. It's all about the demos. And Y&R is still doing well give or take .1 there. I'm just telling you my speculation, based on what I've heard. And don't call me Shirley. :P

• Members

Yes, this obviously reeks of Sheffer... Maybe even his influence gone would be a huge step in the right direction. Maria was OK when left to her own devices, I think she's just collecting a cheque recently though. Maybe the Young and Restless triumvirate will shift and let someone else be in charge for awhile... can't be any worse than GL's 4 headwriters.

• Members

Last week, Y&R tied its record lows in the 18-49 demo, that should be very alarming too.

Both ratings and demos are threading down. The show was pulling a 1.9 sometimes a few months ago, now its down to a 1.5 in 18-49. That isn't good.

Latham might have been fired for other things, but even her show had better demos and ratings.

• Members

They're all bad.

When Maria was by herself her directionless stories and her inexperience in her position showed heavily on this show.

What the Bell's should have done was hire someone with a proven reputation after the strike ended.

Not two FiCore head-writers with polarizing reputations. Not only is the show suffering creatively, I have to bet having two Fi-Core HW's hurts the show in some way with the WGA and in the industry.

• Members

It's not really alarming to anybody unless it keeps dropping by a tenth of a point week after week. If it goes back up .1 or stays the same next week, and for the next few weeks, none of the higher-ups will be alarmed. I'm not saying you're wrong, Alvin - just saying that unless the 18-49 demo continues to drop week after week after week, there's no other reason (in their minds) to make changes.

Again, not saying you're wrong. Just that they don't look at it the way we do.

• Members

Yes, but pulling in a 1.8 or 1.9 in that demo as little as two months ago, and dropping suddenly to a 1.5 and staying there and perhaps going lower isn't alarming? I think it is, especially that kind of .4 drop-off or whatever.

There's a whole list of reasons they should make changes, the ratings are only a small part of that...

• Members

The challenge is getting those who've tuned out to come back really... we live in an ADD society, people can always find other things to do. Shows that suck for long periods of time end up suffering in the long run.

• Members

And judging by the spoilers we can expect more of the same suckage from this writing regime for more and more weeks to come!

Ugh, I just want all these idiots off this show and ONE strong Head Writer, so the show is less jointed and I know specifically who to blame when it all goes to hell.

• Members

Which is why I said before that since the majority of fans didn't start really growing unhappy until June, we probably won't see any changes in what's airing based off of that until September/October, given the time between what's being written and what's on our screens.

Archived