Y&R: How long will it take to improve?

• Members

IF we see any changes at all....

Again, it goes back to the same "give it time" argument people have been giving the hacks running daytime right now over the years.

I'm not convinced this regime understands this show or that things will get better. We'll see.

I don't know about the majority or minority. I just see unhappy fans, falling ratings, and people who liked the show turning on it.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah that's a big "if". You are correct. I'm talking about best case scenario here.

I just meant the majority of the web, and when ratings really started to fall. It was right after Ashley fell down the stairs. That seemed to be the major turning point for most people. I know you and a few others were unhappy long before that, which is why I said "majority".

• Members

I posted this in the Potpourri thread, but it should be posted here too...

At this point, I'd settle for anyone who can do decent character writing, pace storyline well and play important beats, even at an accelerated rate, someone who can write some strong women, and someone who understand the concept of balance.

None of that qualifies this current writing regime.

If Y&R, like other soaps, is ending in like 5 years, I think I would prefer them just handing the show over to someone who trained with Bill Bell for good enough time. I think it's clearly what Bill would have wanted. The Bell's have the power to make that happen, and they're not doing it. So much for caring about Bill's professional legacy.

If Bill were alive, I think he'd be disgusted that this current writing regime is running this show.

If we can't find the perfect storyteller and daytime is dead in 5 years, I want this to happen...

• Members

These writers have to wake up and ask themselves why were so many people offended by what happened in June, and why did the majority of fans turn on Y&R so quickly and if they are honest they will see that they offended the main audience of their shows which are women. They werre going for shock and awe and instead much of the audience was sickened and repulsed.

Now they continue to walk this path of using and abusing the women characters in episodes today. If they realized they were headed on the wrong path then we should see changes by September. Sure they planned out stories further ahead, but they are only taping a month ahead. So they can tweak some of these stories and add some light filler scenes to counter all the dark, ugly stories.

If the tone and treatment of this show remains the same going into September we know that the writers don't care what the majority of their audience are offended by and are not about to change unless they are forced to change. Currently, I feel like these writers don't even like their audience or this show and are trying to make it as ugly,dark and depressing as possible and want to offend and anger as many fans as they can. I don't understand that type of writer. Bill Bell wrote what he wanted to write but he always had respect for the genre, show and the audience.

• Members

Some of the huge problems plaguing this regime - like death, misogny, and shock and awe tactics have existed since the beginning of this writing regime with Maria Arena Bell, Hogan Sheffer, and Scott Hamner and have only gotten WORSE with time. Need I remind you that this regime started off with a double murder and Nikki degrading herself on the beaches of Mexico in front of Victor?

This should have been a sample of what was to come, and as time went on, this type of storytelling become the norm for this current writing regime, and a year later, I want them gone.

I've given them chances and they continue to disappoint. When your problems get WORSE over time, you know something is wrong. I have no faith that this regime will get any better. It's going to be more of the same from them if they aren't fired, mark my words.

• Members

Maybe a playwriter & a coule of viewers. Since we're complaining about the state of daytime. Why not let us try our hands at it. I mean it can't get any worse, right. I really got a couple of storylines for a few of the women on the show. Gloria have got to go. I'll write Lily off for a few years & bring her back with a strong backbone played by anybody but CK. Send Amber over to B&B see if she can break up Steffy & Rick. Then send Deacon back over there. Try a Devon & Rafe gay lover story. At one time JT was rich not filthy rich like the Newman. But JT had money. Send Ana & Tyra away.

If they want to write out the Winters they can replace them with Gil. Anybody remember Robin JT booty call in college before he hook up with Mac. Have Robin as Gil young sister. She can replace Tyra & Ana.

I like JT if they can only bring back some of his edge.

Archived