Y&R Episode Discussion for the week of July 13

• Members

My god, what a HORRIBLY BOTCHED episode!

So, Philip IV comes back, and he IMMEDIATELY meets the father who faked his own death? This should have been saved for sometime next week. Today should have been spent getting Phillip IV reacquainted with Nina, Jill, and Katherine. Perhaps the Friday cliffhanger should have been Phillip IV opening the front door and seeing Phillip III. What the hell is this RUSHING for? Once again, thy threw too much at us at once. Do these idiots realize that they have 5 days a week to tell stories AND they have Bierdz for at least 6 more months? This is really pathetic and there is no excuse.

Those Phillip IV and Phillip III scenes were horrible, and don't tell me it was a directing choice. Why was Phillip IV so calm and collected when he was introduced to his father? They wrote that scene as if these two characters were separated for a YEAR.

God, I'm so sick of Patty Jane now. What a one-note tool. Again with Adam, they're making him increasingly cartoonish. All they care about is showcasing his dark side and nothing else. Who the hell cares? This show repeatedly refuses to empathize ANY human qualities in these characters, and this is a MAJOR SHAME. These are CORE characters for crying out loud!

I'm glad they acknowledged that Amber and Cane shared a past, they could have overlooked out. But, M?Y GOD, what a contrived conversation that was ONLY wrapped up in PLOT. No one has conversations for the sake of having them anymore on this show, it's all about plot progression, not character progression.

Again, Saint Lily is suffering. YAWN! Why do they insist on always shoving this girl's suffering down our throats? Enough already, they could have given cancer to someone else, like some they don't use all the damn time.

OH, and we know that Patty Jane left nothing in her hotel room when she checked out, so where the hell did she get all the clothing from when we saw her prior to her "leaving?" Since Adam had to bring her clothing yesterday.

Oh, and the Newman Ranch security must be extra lame if Patty Jane can leave and come back repeatedly undetected. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Replies 378
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

No, he shouldn't be acting like he never knew his father wasn't dead. He wasn't unhinged or shocked that he was lied to. They made it seem like he hadn't seen his father in a year, not that he hadn't grown up with him or thought he was dead. It wasn't the acting, it was the general writing for those scenes.

He was very talkative and acting, not tight-lipped and stoic.

Again, it was rushed. They threw too much at us at once. Terrible pacing and execution. Phillip IV opening the front door and finding his father there should have been the Friday cliffhanger.

But then again, knowing this regime of hacks, they'd drop a follow-up to such a cliffhanger, since continuation means nothing anymore.

• Members

The reason they're rushing P3 I because he story ain't about him. He's a catalyst to some bigger story, I'm sure. The pacing for that s/l doesn't bother me as much as Bierdz's faulty delivery.

Adamis really annoying me now. He needs to go back to kansas or hurry up and atone for his sins, moving on to a brighter, smarter scheme. Impossible, I know, but necessary.

Mary Jane is really passed the point of retainage. She's crazy and it's no fun either. And it's unbelievabke how Victor let her leave town so easily and Jack immediately called the police. Victor, she's bonkers. You need to send her to a halfway house not Rio with millions. I really hate how these people are ruining Victor and he didn't even have his lucsious revenge against Jack yet dammit.

It's a shame how no one's even said Malcolm in an afterthought since Lily's true parentage came out a few years ago. How they bring back Patty from the early eighties and P3 from the late eighties and can't even breathe Malcolm's name? WTF?

• Members

I totally agree this P3/P4 introduction was very poorly-handled. And that's putting it mildly. I think Driscoll's great, and I'm excited to see him as Chance, but those scenes were a complete and total miss for me. I am completely and totally lost now as to what the point of the P3 story is. I had a handle on it for the first few weeks. And I'm not saying that to make excuses - I, personally, wasn't bothered by the retcon because I thought the story of a man running away from his family because he couldn't come out had the potential to be very powerful. But it's not powerful. P3 is coming across like a smug, arrogant jerk (in fact, he's coming across like who Cane has been for the last three years. Cane really has turned into Phillip... and unfortunately, Phillip became Cane). The P4/P3 reveal was haphazardly rushed, and now there's barely anything else to play with them.

I did love the Cane/Amber scenes though. I thought they were really sweet. Loved Jack trying to play Patty too. And I love the Adam/Patty scenes. I think they were a lot of fun.

And yeah - Driscoll is a dream. LOL!

• Members

Also, it looks like P4 is reacting to things as stoically as Mac did when she first came to town. Ford was pretty bad but I took her scenes back then and Driscoll's scenes now as an effect of those traumatic experiences. I mean, if you see people die everyday and come home to see your dad alive, I'd have a somewhat non-reaction or delayed reaction. He may react in a different way as he continues staying in Genoa City.

• Members

It wasn't the acting, again, it was the sh!tty writing for those scenes. I don't care if he saw Jesus at one point in his life, there is no excuse for rushing those Phillip IV and Phillip III scenes and writing them as if those two characters hasn't seen each other in a like a year.

And he wasn't stoic at all. He looked pretty happy and active with Nina, Jill, and Katherine.

Those scenes with Phillip III just totally didn't feel like he was meeting his father FOR THE FIRST TIME.

• Members

That's true - if Chance bottles his emotions, and this is building to a HUGE "I hate you" moment in four weeks, then I will look back in hindsight and be okay with the scenes. But I do think Alvin is right and he should have had scenes with Kay and Jill first, and build to Chance coming face to face with Phillip on Friday.

• Members

My biggest problem with Mary Jane is that is just a fuckin nut case. That's it. And it's a complete shame.

Mary Jane had the potential to be a SMART, DASTARDLY Villianess with a little bat-[!@#$%^&*] crazy on top. They've made her into just the opposite. NO ONE should have found out she was even a little crazy (yet). Mr. Kitty should still be a secret from everyone. When she came to town after the "modifications" to her face, she should have started reeling Jack in with her magic loins. We should have seen Victor manipulating the entire thing. Is it OK that MJ is crazy in love with Jack? Sure. But she shouldn't have shown it. And Victor should have no idea that she's nutso.

A classic Y&R villianess would have played these things very close to the vest until she got what she wanted. Mary Jane should be soakin her magic loins in JACK's bath tub right now - not trotting all over God's creation and living in a motherfuckin potting shed! ARGH! :mad:

Who were the BDW and script writers today?

• Members

If he bottled his emotions, there should have been some subtext in the writing and acting to let us believe that. There wasn't. All I saw were rushed scenes that gave us no hint that these characters had never met before. I don't care what experiences you had, when you come face to face with a parent who abandoned you, you aren't completely calm and collected, and if you try to hide your true emotions, it still shows in some way.

This was rushed and there was no emotional impact. I just don't get the pace of this show.

• Members

Yeah, you'll hear no argument from me. What was my favorite storyline a few weeks ago is quickly becoming a train wreck. Fortunately, I'm enjoying the Patty Jane story, and I am looking forward to seeing more stuff with Chance. But the P3 story has completely lost me now.

It's moments like these I wonder if R Sinclair reads the Y&R threads. :D

• Members

Honestly, the HWing material given to the BDW and the SW is so bad, that there's just only so much they can do. Not that that's an excuse, but I can't blame them for turning in crap scripts when a character has to go through 4 WEEKS of beats in a single hour.

Archived