The Bold and the Beautiful wins in Monte Carlo again

• Members
I'm hoping — and I was just to write sheilacurve again :lol: — sheilaforever has some photos for us. B) I don't know who was there from the cast & crew.
That wasn't directed towards your post BTW. That was directed towards the "B&B Winner of Monte Carlo Award." I mean, it's great that the show gets all these international awards and stuff, but really., what happens next? Are you gonna continue to churn out the same crap every day, four days a week, 36 weeks a year?

• Members
That wasn't directed towards your post BTW. That was directed towards the "B&B Winner of Monte Carlo Award." I mean, it's great that the show gets all these international awards and stuff, but really., what happens next? Are you gonna continue to churn out the same crap every day, four days a week, 36 weeks a year?

Oh. Well, yeah. Turns out, it sells.

• Members
Afraid so. For some reasons, good or bad, the show just SELLS.

People will just buy anything...

Seriously, just look at the current state of daytime. I think these shows are so awful no one should watch them. Turns out: 2 or 3 or 4 million people watch. :mellow: Steadily. :mellow: No huge audience drops or fluctuations. :mellow:

And in countries where B&B is so popular the audience will really buy whatever they shove in their face. Important that it's B&B. Story? Who cares. It's rich people in LA.

• Members
Marimar + Dynasty = B&B

That's why this show sells and that's the reason this show is not allowed to grow up :)

Marimar? :o A telenovela, I presume? Never seen it.

What specific elements is B&B pulling out of that one?

• Members
Marimar? :o A telenovela, I presume? Never seen it.

What specific elements is B&B pulling out of that one?

MARIMAR was the second novela in the "Maria" trilogy that Thalia did... before MARIA LA DEL BARRIO and after MARIA MERCEDES. I can't believe you've never heard of it before! :lol:

• Members
MARIMAR was the second novela in the "Maria" trilogy that Thalia did... before MARIA LA DEL BARRIO and after MARIA MERCEDES. I can't believe you've never heard of it before! :lol:

Ohhhhh... Now that you mention those two, of course I've heard of the trilogy! :lol: But never seen it.

But I found a synopsis, take a look at it:

Marimar is a poor young innocent girl who lives with her grandparents in a beach by the ocean. She falls in love with Sergio, the son of a wealthy man. Sergio agrees to marry Marimar despite his father and stepmother's, disapproval, but along the way he falls deeply in love with her.

Sergio's stepmother, Angélica, despises Marimar because of her innocence and her lack of knowledge of the world of high society. Angélica constantly embarrasses Marimar, often demeaning her worth as an individual. Sergio becomes angry and decides to go away and earn money to take Marimar away from his father's house, and safe from Angélica's wrath. Angélica tells the police that Marimar stole a bracelet from her, and Marimar is sent to prison. Then Angélica sends one of her servants, Nicandro, to burn Marimar's grandparents' little hut, killing her grandparents in the process. Angélica forges Sergio's handwriting and writes a letter to Marimar stating that he wants nothing to do with her and that he never loved her. All this, along with the impact of her grandparents’ deaths, changes Marimar and sets her on the road to revenge.

After leaving prison, Marimar then moves from her hometown, "San Martin de la Costa", to Mexico City with Padre Porres and works to get back on track. While on the road, she meets her biological father, without either him or her knowing of their relationship. He teaches her how to read, write, to speak eloquently, and to dress elegantly. She finds out she is pregnant, later gives birth to a daughter, Cruz.

After the new, improved Marimar is ready to face society, her biological father decides to take her to the opera, where she bumps into Sergio, and Marimar's plan for revenge begins. Fueled by anger, Marimar (assuming the identity of "Bella" and denying to Sergio and other people that she is Marimar) seduces Segio constantly and then rejects his advances to hurt him, and at the same time strips Sergio's father and stepmother Angélica of their wealth. Marimar buys out the Santibáñez house and embarrasses Angélica the way she had embarrassed Marimar before. As Sergio divorces Marimar and gets ready to marry his childhood friend Inocencia, Marimar plans on breaking them up. Secretly, Sergio is still in love with Marimar.

Angélica then gets into a car accident and suffers severe burns. While on her deathbed, as her last wish, she wants Marimar burned alive in her house. Innocencia finds out that Sergio has been visiting Marimar and even tried to go to Marimar's house. The pregnant Innocencia falls and taken to the hospital, where she has her baby and is subsequently diagnosed with a brain tumor. Marimar decides to forget about Sergio by falling in love with another man who is an engineer. Innocencia then has brain surgery and, ashamed of all she has done, lets Marimar marry Sergio. They finally marry and live happily ever after.

The only good thing about it is "She brings them down to the ruins" :lol:. The rest? It needs to be severely re-written.

• Members

Yes, it was a very typical "poor, ignorant" girl thing, with all the cliches and crap thrown in. But the revenge phase was admittedly very fun. She turned into a cold-hearted bitch.

But she even had a dog, and we heard the dog's thoughts! Tres crapee.

• Members
Marimar + Dynasty = B&B

That's why this show sells and that's the reason this show is not allowed to grow up :)

I don't know what "grow up" means in this context. I think the numbers speak for themself on this one, and it is American audiences that are out of step, not every other country. B&B has an audience of 26 milllion people and only 10% of that comes from its home country. I don't know which the mature soap is, Y&R, GL, OLTL...but which ever one people choose, B&B seems to appeal to more people, so why should they grow up?

Archived