OLTL: Discussion for the week May 18th

• Administrator

Great show today! I'm glad Marty finally remembers everything and very symbolic that she did in the same room that she got raped in.

Blair/Tea were fun to watch.

Toups: "Yeah, Tea....hurry up and strip!!!" :D

Jack's been traumatized and I hope they do more this him - the kid can angle the story, I know he can.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yep I echo all those who commented above, the 5/18 episode was quite enjoyable. I do agree that for the first few acts of the show, Tea/FL did get on my nerves with the shrieking. I wished the show had capable enough directors to tell the actors to calm down and stop overacting bc that seems to be one of the problems I have with OLTL.

However I did love Tea's little diatribe about Powell's excuse of Todd having made him do it. It represented what most viewers think about him.

Say what you will about the character of Marty Saybrook, but Susan Haskell has the chops. She's amazing and brings it each and every time. Even though this issue has been revisited so much that it is now the equivalent of beating a dead horse, and then molesting it, both TSJ and SH made me feel as if this was the first time the two characters had a deep discussion about what happened on the night of the spring fling. Hmm some credit to Janet Iacobuzio and Lisianti perhaps too?

• Members

I love Haskell because of all the little noises she makes. It all sounds so palpable and real, when she says she can smell her baby after his bath, or could feel her husband's kiss... you just feel it right along with her. She's a wonder to watch.

I didn't mind Tea's shrieking. It was difficult to listen to, but she heightened the drama and made it really seem like life and death. Another one whose mere breathing is incorporated into her acting and you feel what she's feeling on a sensory level. Tea seemed like a woman brought ever closer to the edge as she faced possible death.

• Members

I love when the soaps give me good girl "pairings." I'm really renjoying Tea and Blair and hopefully their hate-like thing continues when they get out. That (the ladies getting out) is not a spoiler, it's just obvious because it's a soap.

• Members

All I kept thinking when Tea was shrieking her lines about Powell and excuses was the years of excuses which were used for Todd, and one of the main perpetrators was Tea, especially during that awful story where he faked having multiple personalities.

The main problem she seems to have with Powell is that he's not Todd. Todd does whatever he wants, to whoever he wants, and no one cares.

Susan Haskell is a wonderful actress, I just wish she had better material, and better screen partners. TSJ and ME are half-asleep most of the time.

• Members

I liked today's episode. I am just getting worried because Starr and Cole are turning out to be quite capable of caring for a kid. I will STOP WATCHING if they

after all this time. That would be as bad as Dixie never getting to find Kate. I can't wait to hear Viki rip into Natalie tomorrow!

• Members

That's always been a touchy subject for me. I have always thought that if the baby remains in town it's a constant connection for Marty, Todd and Blair. With there twisted relationship there are years of storyline and subtext to play out. Throw in Natalie, Jessica and the rest of the Buchanan's and Dorian and the Cramer connection and this plot could playout the way I always dreamed the baby Michael storyline should have played out on GH. On the other hand, poor Marcie and Mike have been through so much, to lose this baby again would be down right crule.

• Members

I think Tea was right about Powell. The problem is, she forgives Todd anything, and the show hasn't been entirely honest about him either.

I thought Susan's performance yesterday was excellent but they fucked up by not showing anything of her life but her brutal rape. Way to objectify.

• Members

Finally getting caught up on yesterday. I'm almost positive the voice heard during the flashbacks is Trevor and not Roger. These scenes with Marty remembering are absolutely riveting. Say what you will about the character of Marty, but SH can bring it and then some when she's given the good stuff.

• Members

You can say that again. SH ROCKS!!!!

Today was another great episode aswell. Loved the Blair/Tea scenes. Tea really hit the nail on the head about Blair's feelings regarding Todd and I like that they now have a new understanding of each other. It was also nice to see Starr, Cole and Jack together. I remember why I liked these 2 as a couple. And you know the sh*ts gonna hit the fan when Natalie and Jared tell Vicki and Clint the truth. Anyone have any guesses on what Tea's secret is? I'm thinking she and Todd have a kid out there somewhere.

• Members

It's subtle but SO important! So many actors don't take the time to FEEL the moment. You can't even tell in the delivery of a line how they feel about what they are saying. OLTL has a LOT of people in their cast that just rattle off lines left and right it all sounds the same. But we get like three layers to every line out of Haskell's mouth. Thinking, feeling, and feeling ABOUT thinking. If that makes any sense. I need a drink.

And I caught a few minutes of Days today, and I have to say I know Molly Burnett has been raked over the coals for her character Melanie, but I think she's a DYNAMITE young actress. She was great in scenes with Eric Martsolf, and they weren't heavy scenes, but she found a lot of different places to go with very average dialogue. I love watching her, it's a shame she's on a show I don't really watch at all regularly. One of the few young actresses that REALLY gets subtext and doesn't sound like she memorized anything, she just completely internalized the dialogue.

• Members

I agree. So many actors on OLTL are just average. Then once in a blue moon they really try and knock it out of the park, but mostly just stay on neutral.

And I feel the same about Molly Burnett. You have to remember, DAYS fans tend to think just because they don't like a character the actress/actor that is part of the role sucks as well. However, though I haven't watched the show since October what I have seen of Burnett I have enjoyed, for the most part.

Archived