GL: Tom Pelphrey Returns

• Members

I'm with you, all they need to do now is announce the return of deadTammy and the quad of suck (Manny/Jammy) will be complete

I am however looking forward to Phillip meeting Sarah (that is if Lizzie even remembers she exist)

I will never buy into one person or couple being responsible for a show's ratings in one direction or another. I think that's rather silly (and GL had some piss poor demos in 2006 when TP was still there).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Agreed that one person or couple is rarely responsible alone, including not in this case (big story for Reva's cancer in 2006 also), but still he was a big part of 2006 and that cannot be ignored. There is too much coincidence to say that his leaving and Tammy's death had nothing to do with the ratings decline.

The "piss poor" demos were still better than they are now, and in the lower end of the pack with ATWT. But I will agree that the ratings strength then manifested itself most in Men 18+ rather than the key demos. This high male viewership then also makes a strong case for Jonathan playing a key role in the ratings.

• Members

I disagree, somewhat.

I do think that when ou shift focus of a show to being pretty much about one person, it does harm the ratings. Sometimes its instant, sometimes its not. Yes other factors like sucky storytelling go into this, but i do think one character can cause ratings to go down when the show decides to make them the star.

• Members

I can agree with this too, and even can agree that maybe the show shifted the focus too much to Jonathan so that while I think it helped ratings in the short run, it hurt in the long run once he left.

• Members

It is subjective. I found Jonathan and Tammy tolerable until they ate the show. The Spauldings were dragged into their orbit for no discernible reason other than giving Jonathan more opportunity to scream, threaten and manhandle women. I tuned out at that point.

• Members

Same. I thought they were great at first but then it was All Jammy All the Time. GL just abandoned their B and C stories. Tammy's death did segue into those great 70th Anniversary episodes, though.

• Members

They did put all their eggs in one basket, and J (and T) were both ruined by 2006. They ruined Lizzie in the process too, taking her from a spoiled rich girl learning to become responsible and self-reliant to a clingy, nearly-psycho valley girl brat.

• Members

You know I don't see the point in him coming back, seriously. His last return should have tied up all the loose ties. What will this one do?

Let me guess, he's going to hate Phillip from the get go bc his last name is a Spaulding and he's Lizzie's father. Give me a break.

• Members

There really aren't any loose ends except giving Sarah back to her mother. I'm not looking forward to seeing him again but if Phillip throws that scumbag off of the same cliff he tossed his clone, Grady, off of a few months ago, I might actually enjoy this return. Otherwise, ICK!!!

Archived