Another World

• Members

Laurie Heinemanns Sharlene did not have DID.That was a rewrite as was the existence of Jason Frame.

BTW How dis the writing get around that Jason had never been mentioned in the 70's?

Why not make Chris Robinson Willis or Vince? (obviously as there was a Vince already that would be an issue)

• Replies 11.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Wasn't Harding Lemay behind the return of Sharlene and the rest of the Frames? Or was that a bit before his return? If it was Lemay, then I could see why he didn't make Robinson Willis or Vince because he didn't want to demonize them to the audience if they weren't before. Plus, from reading Lemay's book, it was always mentioned that Steve had many siblings [to mirror Lemay's real life]. Maybe they weren't all mentioned then.

• Members

Sharlene's original backstory as written by Lemay from AWHP

Sharlene and Floyd Watts were married out of high school in the early 70's.Floyd was drafted and she went to San Francisco to be near him till he shipped out.She got a waitress job then received word that he had been killed.Devastated she turned to sleeping with army officers as a link to Floyd before drifting into prostitution.

Sharlene and Russ secretly became engaged. Willis taunted her that he knew what happened in San Diego. He said that while on shore leave from the Navy, two buddies took him to meet a "B-girl" at a sleazy bar, who turned out to be her. In a panic, Sharlene took off for Chadwell.

On the afternoon of Russ and Sharlene's engagement party, Willis told Sharlene that he found one of her former johns. When Sharlene didn't show for the party, Emma threatened Willis that she'd tell Alice that years ago she came to Bay City to ask Steve for money to keep Willis out of jail. Russ tracked Sharlene down in San Francisco and married her despite her reservations.

Sharlene was forced to confess her past to Russ, then she took an overdose of sleeping pills. Russ saved Sharlene, then beat Willis to a pulp

Russ couldn't make love to Sharlene, who was released from the hospital.

Russ finally made love to Sharlene, and they agreed to start a family.

Sharlene forgave Willis for his misdeeds.

Sharlene grew despondent over her inability to conceive

Sharlene told Russ that she fears past abortions have left her sterile. Russ went into a drunken rage at the news, causing Sharlene to move out.

Russ moved in with Aunt Liz, who urged him to divorce that tramp Sharlene. Sharlene learned she can bear children.

Willis convinced Russ to take Sharlene back, but Russ's drinking problem escalated.

Russ attacked Sharlene in a drunken fit

Russ swore off alcohol, but Sharlene continued to live with Alice

Liz threatened to expose Sharlene's ugly past if she doesn't leave Russ

Jim and Russ put a stop to Aunt Liz's meddling. Russ and Sharlene reconciled

Russ and Sharlene broke up permanently, and Sharlene moved back to Oklahoma

Edited by Paul Raven

• Members

Lemay wrote the material where Jamie moved in with Sharlene, Josie and Jason, and there was heavy tension between the Frames and Rachel/Mac. There were a few terrific scenes where Sharlene argued with Rachel about Janice's death and about the way the Corys had looked down on the Frames. This was also around the time Liz had some good speeches about how dirty and sleazy the Frames were and how they had infested Bay City (which is how many AW fans felt back in the day, actually).

Sadly it didn't last long.

I don't know if he brought any of them back (I think DePriest brought Jason in - initially his story seemed to be about reteaming him with Denise Alexander).

• Members

One of the best things during Lemay's 1988 return was when Matthew asked Aunt Liz to tell him about the Frames, and she let slip that Matthew was born after Mitch forced Rachel to sleep with him to save Mac from being killed by Janice Frame, Mac's wife and Mitch's mistress when Rachel killed her.

• Members

I tried to find those scenes on Youtube once but don't know if I ever did. These scenes, plus Rachel freezing Liz out of the family, were phenomenal. It was also so nice to get to see Irene Dailey get a chance to act.

I think Swajeski did a decent job at AW, but those weeks with Lemay really brought AW alive.

• Members

In the two months that Lemay was credited as headwriter, he really accomplished a lot in a short period of time. Swajeski did do a good job, but Internet lore says that she used the bible that Lemay had written for AW. I wonder why NBC and P&G never kept both of them- Lemay as the headwriter and Swajeski as a co-headwriter. At least that way Lemay could have trained her until he was ready to turn the show over to her.

• Members

I thought it was cause they clashed. I do think some of the later stuff was more Swajeski then Lemay. I know that Dean/Jenna was inspired by her real life relationship with someone she was serious with...

Lorna certainly was a great creation that ended up becoming Felicia's long lost daughter, but I don't think she was planned to be her daughter.. which makes me wonder who Lemay might have made her adopted daughter.

• Members

Around 1989-1990, there were reports in Soap Opera Digest that AW was casting the role of a young model named Bliss. This was reported a number of times and speculation was that Bliss was slated to turn out to be Felicia's long lost daughter. But then the character never showed up.

• Members

I made that point myself. In reality, Jason Frame was a recreation of his brother Willis. They should have casted Chris Robinson as Willis but then I guess they would have to include Gwen too. Of course, they could have written they divorced. Willis blackmailed Sharlenes past as a prostitute much like they did with the character Jason. I agree, I never understood why Jasons name was never mentioned in the 70's but then again, neither was this so called Henry brother "deans father". Why not have Dean come back as Vince's son? Vince Mckinnon was long gone at that time