Another World

• Members

I also really liked Stephen Yates. Bekins is my favourite because I believed his Jamie was Rachel’s son.  He could be passionate, charming and difficult.  His chemistry with Doug and Victoria was incredible.  And his scenes with Connie were so real.  However, Stephen Yates in those cutoffs eclipses all of that!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I think the dates on this upload may be incorrect -- the first date listed is May 26, 1976, but the first scenes shown correspond to the daily synopsis for May 31 per the AWHP. The first scene is the one where Robert Delaney smashes Mac's bust and slashes Iris' portrait. (The day with the argument leading up to this cataclysm and the rehearsal where Nic Coster was so angry with Beverlee McKinsey he came in without any trousers on would therefore have been the episode before on the Friday.)

The video quality is not good as it seems to have been someone filming their TV set.

• Members

Perfect! But in my heart of hearts, I think any new, major story for Russ would have worked so much better if Sam Groom had returned to the role. Having SG, Jacquie Courtney and Beverly Penberthy back would have made me orgasmic, LOL!

Right, this was secretly recorded at the Paley Center, where they forbid any recording, and will kick you out for doing it. Over the years, I'd heard some fans complain about the video quality of these "secretly recorded" episodes (there are other eps, including from the 1960s), but really: I'd rather see vintage material in poor quality than not seeing any of it at all.

• Members

I grew up listening to old-time radio dramas, which obviously did not have corresponding video to watch, so these AW episodes with distorted pictures don't bother me in the least. As long as the sound is good, I can recognize all the voices and just treat the vintage eps as if they were made for radio.

• Members

I completely agree.  Vicky Wyndham and David Bailey did have chemistry, but Sam Groom was much more a leading man.  Plus, Groom had chemistry with everyone.  Seeing him and VW in a romance could have made them a 50's super-couple.  And, revisiting Rachel's relationship with the Matthews family would have been wonderful!   Just imagine what Iris would have thought about a Rachel/Russ re-match!!!??   Considering her own troubled history with Russ.   

Edited by Neil Johnson

• Members

I did not see any of the Iris/Robert Delaney relationship. Did Beverlee McKinsey and Nicolas Coster have chemistry?

When Coster was dropped from AW, the official word was that they had run out of story for Robert. Fans knew that wasn't true because Robert had learned he had a child by Clarice, there might have been more story with Iris, and he was still in love with Lenore, who could easily have been recast and brought back to Bay City.

• Members

There was something almost quietly noble about Russ Matthews when Sam Groom played him. The character was sweet and charming, but never boring. I was really annoyed when Goutman brought Groom back for AW's finale, but in an anonymous, throw-away part. I loathe the trend on soaps of women falling in love/marrying with their rapists, their kidnappers, their would-be murderers. I never would have permitted the Rachel/Carl pairing if I had been in charge, but I would have pushed for a Rachel/Russ reunion after Mac died. Iris having a cow at the thought would have been an added bonus!

That's the way I like my soaps: slow-moving with long, extended scenes based on character delineation. That style is long gone, alas.