Another World

• Members

Ah, so ~ 1 week before CD's last episode aired.  I love how the question/possible responses were phrased as though the writers/casting director still had months to plan next steps.

But, that would have been my next question—which other actresses were they teasing?  Even if write-ins were an/the only option, Kate Collins at least looked/comported herself someone like Iris as portrayed by CD; and she had been on a popular soap just a few years before.  KC may have just won a plurality among the sliver of respondents who chose that (younger recast) option, which could have been due to name recognition more than anything else.  I'm not sure the majority of her fans at that time would have even read a soap mag poll about AW all the way through.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

@DeliaIrisFan  The more I think about it the more I agree that asking whether the  character should be de-aged (if they did) is offputting, and really tells you where the mindset of the soap press and industry was.

Much as we may  all take lumps off soap fans for some of their views, they were usually very upfront about wanting to see older characters - so much so that when soaps began chasing young faces, their ratings dropped en masse and  never recovered. The refusal to respect older characters, who were loved by viewers of all ages, was one of the greatest nails in the coffin.

• Members

I thought of a few more women from the AWverse who could have returned to the canvas, albeit with some possible changes: Blaine (weren't they considering bringing back Sandy?), Cecile (who did come back, a year later) and Paige Marshall (with or without a new actor as ex-husband Dennis).

It worked. It just took 27 years.

Edited by Franko

• Members

Ironically, Kelly Rutherford went on to a primetime career of often playing serene, at times remote beauties, first as the ethereal hooker-turned-snow white heroine Megan on Melrose Place, then as the ice queen socialite on Gossip Girl. But I do agree she had plenty of fire and would've done well. MP rarely utilized her properly.

Edited by Vee