Another World

• Members

To me, it looked like zero money was invested into the projects, and TPTB did not have the experience necessary to produce TV well (speculation on my part).

You are right about Anne of Green Gables, however. That series was done with care, and enough funds were infused into it to make the series a quality (and hugely popular) production. Around that time, I think Canadian investors started to realize the potential goldmine they could have on their hands if they started doing filmed productions right, and everything slowly started to improve. More and more American series started being filmed here as well, and the quality from the US material bled over into the Canadian side of things. Canadian TV stopped looking cheap and unprofessional, and the standards for writing and acting were raised significantly.

If that had been the only soap he was known for, Lemay's reputation would have been trashed. His work on Strange Paradise was not good. (Not that ANYBODY could have made that awful series work.)

Yes, I knew there were others and not just the few I mentioned, but I couldn't remember them all. None of them WERE memorable, LOL.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Soap Opera Magazine 1994 issue - readers were given 3 options about recasting Iris when Carmen Duncan announced her departure:

1. 50 percent would do anything to see Beverlee McKinsey return to the daytime role she created. Even though it's been nearly 15 years since Beverlee was last seen in Bay City, her portrayal of the complex Iris is one of the best in soap history. 

2. 10 percent think the show should advantage of the situation by hiring a younger actress to play Iris. This group believes Kate  Collins would be an excellent choice. 

3. 40 percent really don't want the show to recast this role. Even though it's a pivotal one, fans have been lucky enough to have both Beverlee and Carmen play the part - and topping both of them would be next to impossible. Instead, Iris should just leave Bay City in some dramatic way. 

• Members

I keep turning this over and over in my mind trying to understand the point of younger Iris. Was it just a cluster of fans of Kate Collins? Did they want Iris to have sexier romantic adventures? Did they have any thoughts about her relationships to Rachel and/or Dennis? 

• Members

I personally always thought Kate C. looked older than she was even she first started.
And on the other hand Carmen D. looked younger than she was. There was no way she looked just 7 years younger than BMcK.
So I don't know that I would have guessed based on appearance there was a 17-year gap between them.
I'd add the wrinkle that Beverley M. always looked older than she was to me as well and setting aside the quality of her performance she always looked to me like a younger sister rather than a daughter of Douglas W.
So honestly when I first read the poll KC's mention didn't shock me. Now that I hear the facts, yeah, she was too young but for what it is worth, I was into the idea for a minute there.

• Members

Robin Strasser said on her hotline that this is what she and JFP talked about doing with Alex on GL, they planned to youthen the role. Michael Zaslow championed Robin for the part, Robin took the meeting, and was pretty much set to take over after Beverlee McKinsey’s departure.

Edited by SFK

• Members

Interesting. I know I've heard this before but often forget these little things. I could see Robin in the role. Is that what started the JFP/Robin thing ... obviously JFP had no use for Robin and Dorian on OLTL. Obviously Robin went back to OLTL so .... JFP is a petty bitch.

It's funny. "At the time" you don't really get why some decisions are made (unless you were well informed) and then little pieces click in. Robin/Dorian always felt like someone JFP would WANT to have (kinda like Jane Elliot/Tracy on GH). You just knew who Phelps leaned towards and who she didn't.

Edited by KMan101

• Members

Yes, Robin believes this is the source of JFP’s beef with her. Robin said that a member of the soap press saw her leaving CBS after her meeting with Jill. She had promised OLTL first refusal so to speak if she ever decided to return to daytime. So she headed over to ABC and Linda Gottlieb took a meeting with her. Linda wasn’t familiar with Robin but she had big plans for the 25th anniversary. Linda’s decision to take Robin on was based on Robin’s strong history with the show and the reputation of her talent.

• Members

Robin and Beverlee are also so incredibly physically different. Of course they have that original recipe Rachel and Iris connection, AW’s two most famous devious women, but this would have been a quintessential example of “so-and-so is playing an altogether new character”.

• Members

Wow...what was the date on that issue?  I'm stunned that SOM had enough lead time to run this poll via whatever technology was available at the time—presumably a 900 number—while her on-screen exit was seemingly so slapped together.  I always assumed negotiations fell apart midway through that storyline in which Iris shot Carl halfway across the country from where her ~ 2-day trial+sentencing ended up taking place.

My recollection is that SOM was not in the top tier of soap rags when it came to cutting-edge journalism, which wouldn't have said much to begin with, so a part of me wonders if these three options were basically dictated by someone in PR at NBC/P&G.  If so, the phrasing of the third option makes me think they were already seriously contemplating leaving Iris in jail indefinitely, and maybe provides a window into how TPTB thought the ending was an appropriate swan song for the character.  Although I can't imagine P&G at the time would have actively encouraged speculation about BM's return, post-GL, even if they might have secretly been open to the idea...

Regardless of who came up with the wording, how gross that hiring a younger actress, specifically, was one of the other prescribed options—and without even an alternative for an age-appropriate recast if BM wasn't interested.  Still, how awesome that only 10% voted for that, especially when you consider how few things poll at 90% these days.

Edited by DeliaIrisFan

• Members

September 9, 1994. 

I haven't seen the wording of the original question, but they may have just asked for other suggestions, rather than giving specific names as choices. If I have it I'll see what the question was. 

Edited by DRW50