Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought I read somewhere that the ratings did improve in 1986, which helped stave off cancelation, but I guess that was from a low base.

Did Rachel and Mitch have any fans at the time?

I know it never would have happened, but I wonder if they would have had any success pairing Steve and Quinn. Was she ever meant to have feelings for him? 

• Members

There's no denying that David Canary was a powerful actor, but pairing him with Linda Borgenson was like pairing Laurence Olivier with a Swiffer Duster. That, combined with the atrocious writing and lack of attention to history, doomed the story to fail.

With a gifted scribe who knew the characters' pasts, and performers like Jacqueline Courtney, Victoria Wyndham and Canary, the idea might have been feasible, but I guess we will never know.

The show had been under 5.0 in the early 1980s, but rose to 5.1 in the mid-1980s. Santa Barbara and SFT's ratings were even worse, however, so that probably did help stave off cancellation for a bit.

Yes, although the bulk of the audience was on team Mac (even if many viewers wanted to have sex with Mitch more, LOL!)

They certainly had more appeal than Canary's Steve and pod-Alice!

• Members

I watched some of the 80s Steve/Alice story recently. Linda Borgeson is easily one of the worst soap actresses I've ever seen - period. Shockingly bad, especially in the reveal scenes with Canary. It was never going to work, nor do I think they should've tried to recast a singular presence like Reinholt's Steve with IMO a very different actor in Canary.

• Members

The thought had never occured to me, but now that you have brought it up: the electric McKinsey and the charismatic Espy might have been quite an interesting pair.

I agree that attempting to replace Reinholt was a major blunder, but AT LEAST David Canary was a good actor in his own right. How Linda Borgenson ever got an acting job is beyond me. You are right: those reveal scenes were horrendous.

• Members

This is NOT an unpopular opinion: Linda Borgeson is one of the worst actresses ever cast in a major soap role. What did TPTB see in her auditions that she couldn't project in her actual scenes?

Replacing George Reinholt was more difficult than might have been expected. There aren't that many actors who have the dark, brooding, romantic quality that Reinholt had.

I would have been happy with Rachel and Mitch as a couple. Espy had good chemistry with actresses as different as Trish Stewart and Victoria Wyndham, or would Trish Stewart and Linda Dano be an even greater contrast?