Another World

• Members

Based on what I've seen, Vana Tribbey gave me more Iris vibes than Alice.

Despite not being as strong as Jacqueline Courtney and Susan Harney, Wesley Ann Pfenning had a special kind of promise in the role of Alice, and it almost seems like had TPTB given her more time in the role, she could have worked out. Possibly, on the flip side, the role was recast too swiftly between Harney and Pfenning, which can sometimes be a negative.

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I 100% agree - I never understood this, either.

Actually, they could have tweaked it a bit where Rachel and Russ wouldn't even need to be romantically involved. I would have played out the long game in the relationship - Rachel isn't looking for anyone new after the love of her life has passed. Russ isn't really looking for romance, either, and certainly not with his ex-wife. However, they both find a fun and unique *friendship*. They go out to dinner, dancing, etc. - they have fun!

Their non-romantic relationship causes various reactions with some in Bay City. For instance, Amanda is thrilled by the fact that her Mom is on the rebound, but not necessarily a romantic rebound. Matt has a different take, though, and doesn't trust the situation at all. Matt influences Josie to not trust her newfound father, and therefore Russ can't seem to get close to Josie, no matter how much he tries (much to the relief of Sharlene). I would have also kept either Alice or Pat on full time, as they would be the ones from the Matthews point of view - should Russ really be doing this? Is Russ falling for Rachel again? Is history repeating itself? Jamie would be the one who would look at it all with cautious optimism 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

I'm more of a Stephen Yates fan.  But, I far prefer that era of Jamie versus the Lau/Todd Jamie the Doctor era. It was always more believable to me that a boy raised by Rachel would grow up to be a creative type, prone to jealousy, and addiction. As opposed to a boring self righteous medical professional.  

Even looking back at them as teens, I could believe Dennis to be more of the moral center and Jamie to be a playboy. Rachel's son should never have been anyone's second choice to Jake. 

• Members

I mean, I have no personal knowledge but of all the things that went wrong in the 90s, I can't be too harsh there.
The character didn't work in any of the versions we had been given. There was nothing memorable for us to miss.

He functioned mainly as a romantic lead to prop up other characters and by then Vicky had Ryan and Jake as "soulmates", Marley was a non-entity and the other leading ladies in that - stretched as it had been - age range were related to him. There was no room, was there?

In a vacuum he should have been there as a member of a core family but in practice I can see why he wasn't necessary and the audience didn't miss him specifically, did we?