Another World

• Replies 11.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Lemay did have some respect for Slesar, saying that Slesar wrote a different kind of show. Lemay admitted his own inability to write courtroom scenes, one of Slesar's strengths.

The episode with John Randolph's death shows some of the limitations of Lemay's imagination. There are several scenes where women are told about John Randolph's death. Each one bursts into tears. IRL, people react to news like that differently. Some will cry. Some will seem stoic and cry later. Some may seem incredulous and scarcely believe the news. By having all the women react the same way, Lemay missed an opportunity to show how people react differently.

• Members

I'm not one of them, but I can't help but think that a lot of today's soap fans, particularly the ones on Twitter, would find Lemay's work boring.

Corinne Jacker: AW's worst head writer.

True.

As much as I enjoy that episode, once John dies, it really does just becomes the same scene over and over again, just with a little tweaks here and there. 

• Members

No question whatsoever that this would be the case.
I always rag on modern soaps for going to the opposite extreme and completely sacrificing the kind of long-term storytelling and play-every-beat aspect that make soap a distinct and wonderful genre but their fundamental diagnosis: that current audiences need a faster pace isn't wrong. 
I think today's soap get it wrong by playing things as fast as primetime - which basically throws away the one advantage daytime has over primetime which is time - but some legendary runs like Lemay's AW or Bell's Days/Y&R would drive people mental today.

• Members

I think by that time, Lemay was pretty much burned out. I found much of his work during his first three years on AW to be brilliant, even though I found fault with some of his choices, but even by 1975 there were issues with his writing. The problems continued to grow over the next few years.

I agree. But I suspect they would complain about anything which they felt was too slow moving; not flashy enough. Tennessee Williams, Jane Austen, Louisa May Alcott, Laura Ingalls Wilder and Harper Lee might have also incited their wrath. Many folks today (particularly some of the ones on Twitter, LOL) have the attention spans of gnats.

She certainly was "down there," wasn't she? I wonder what would have become of the revisited  Alice/Steve/Rachel triangle with a capable writer at the helm, and a return of Jacqueline Courtney and George Reinholt. What ended up on screen, under Jacker's pen, was a disaster.

Sadly, a lot of tedious repetition was foisted on the audience then.

Edited by vetsoapfan

• Members

That reminds me - I saw this tweeted today. Even just the tweet looks awful (especially that Chromakey). I don't know, I haven't seen this story, maybe I am not being fair.  I just don't know why they thought the remaining fans who knew Alice and Steve would want to see strangers. 

• Members

You are being fair, because you are being truthful. The Chromakey was dreadful, and we were NOT interested in watching strangers playing once-beloved characters, particularly Linda Borgenson who was painfully bland and nondescript. Borgenson and Canary had no chemistry at all. There was no reason to care. 

• Members

LOL I nearly forgot about that ridiculous scene.

I still joke with my friends about how about 60% of that episode was about people's various difficulties in trying to tell everyone in town that John Randolph had died in a fire at the edge of town. AT LEAST TWICE. 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

The show expanded to 60 minutes and then to 90 minutes without TPTB figuring out how much additional story they would need. After Reinholt was fired, he showed one of the magazine writers a scene where Vic Hastings and Angie Perrini (probably the original one, the boring Toni Kalem) talked on and on about office furniture until Steve Frame came in and said he was going to Australia.

• Members

I'll give Lemay the benefit of the doubt re: the 60 minute move, as at least the move was unprecedented (I know there had been some soaps move from 15 to 30 minutes, but they were, of course, the first to go to an hour, in any medium) and they were still trying to work out the kinks for awhile. But expanding to 90mins not four years later and STILL not be prepared was just weird to me. They adjusted quickly, but those early episodes are just painful.

Edited by beebs