Another World

• Members

Having Beverlee McKinsey show at the end would have been great! They did that with Mark Pinter's Grant too (on Tanquir), which wasn't that shocking but still.

I don't usually like 'cliffhanger' endings like that BUT I would have liked Iris returning if they didn't do the same in the next scene with Grant. tongue.png

Yeah, AW definitely had a rushed ending. In fact it didn't even seem like the show WAS ending until the very last scene with Rachel in the living room. Until then the last couple episodes were all about Cass and Lila's wedding...and the gorilla!

• Replies 11.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I thought Keating was a big ham, although he had his moments.

I wonder if they asked Carmen Duncan if she would return as Iris.

I thought AW had some closure in the last weeks - not a complete ending, but by the last episode, everyone was settled and happy, aside from Matthew.

• Members

Charles Keating was indeed a big ham, but I think it made him very watchable in low-key Bay City. Like Melroser, I much preferred him as a villain. I never really bought him and Rachel together, though both actors gave it their all. The show took great pains to establish that Rachel saved Carl from himself just as Mac had saved Rachel -- but Rachel's "crimes" were not unforgivable, Carl's were.

It is amazing how much better the show looks in retrospect. AW barely had a production budget in the '90s, yet YouTube clips from that era make it look positively luxurious compared to soaps today. I'm shocked by the number of extras running around every time there's a scene at the hospital!

• Members

Some recurring questions I have:

--Why did the show end up blowing Jacqueline Courtney's return so badly in 1984 even after gaining a good amount of viewers back?

--Why did so many pivotal characters end up dead(Julia, Sally, Frankie etc.)

--What was the Alice and Rachel interaction like during the Harney years? I remember reading Rachel played a small role in the Beatrice Gordon story trying to tarnish Alice as a person while Rachel was off with that art sculptor teacher who was supposedly a very boring character.

• Members