Another World

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I liked Susan Keith's Cecile a lot, but Nancy Frangione made her into a completely different, much more entertaining character. NF's Cecile was just a classic soap character -- I almost wrote villainess, but she was much more than that. Beautiful, bitchy, selfish, poignant and most of all, funny -- "As God is my witness, I will never tell the truth again."

She wasn't written terribly well when she returned to Bay City to steal from her SORAS-ed daughter Maggie -- too much of a stereotypical shrew -- but it was a treat to see NF again.

By the way, I'm enjoying Carl's repostings of 1999 AW more than I did the original run. The Jordan Stark story is still ridiculous and I have no love for Cameron (dull), Sergei (the worst) or even the then-popular Lila (though I've always liked Lisa Peluso), but it's good to see Rachel, Felicia and the rest again. And though AW always looked cheaper than any other soap on the year in its later years, it looks positively lush compared to today's soaps.

• Members

Yes, they did. We are in the minority, but some of us prefer serious Cecile over camp Cecile. For me, she was tolerable during her first year, but once the writers highlighted the "humor" mentioned by Carl, I changed the channel to Guiding Light. Tony the Tuna, Cass in drag, Cecile dressed as nun, that was not Another World to me. Granted, I became an AW viewer during 1968, which was truly the best era of the soap. It was just superb, so what it devolved to in the mid-80s and 90s was mortifying to me. God bless the vets who hung in there. They were only the reason I continued to tune in occasionally.

Personally, I never cared for Frangione in any of her roles. I loathed her as Tara on AMC, and I was unhappy when she was cast on AW. The reprehensible treatment she and Chris Rich inflicted on Laura Malone did not endear me to her either, so perhaps I am somewhat prejudiced.

• Members

Do you mean backstage? If so, how awful, especially considering the horrible way she was fired.

From what I've seen - which isn't a lot - it seems like Frangione played several different versions of Cecile. I think my favorite of those is the time she was scheming to get Peter, and was close friends with Donna, only for Donna to belatedly realize Cecile was far more of a nightmare for her than Sally could ever be.

• Members

i agree, again, why it pisses me off that characters turn into different people. Susan Ketith was nothing like Nancy Frangione and I think during the 60s and 70s, they tried to replace actors and actress witht the same scheme. Although, how do you get Robin Strasser and Victoria Wyndham in the same character? regardless, they did it in a more diplomatic way so the audience would appreciate it

• Members

I think with Vicky Wyndham, they had one unsuccessful recast of Rachel, then they cast her as she'd played a bitch on GL. I wonder if they cast her knowing they would redeem her or if that came later. I think Lemay changed her once he got enthused about Wyndham.