Another World

• Members

I posted that in hopes you'd get to read it. I wish there was a little more - that's all, aside from one or two other photos (this is from the Daytime TV Library on AW). It's fascinating to contrast this with some of the issues between Coster and Beverlee.

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

That's precisely what I was thinking. Oh shoot, so Beverlee's line is the last? I didn't want it to end. happy.png

It's funny hearing them talk about the credits flying by too quickly, ha! And their problems with the schedule would have only gotten worse. This truly was Another World Era.

• Members

Priceless, priceless, priceless!! I'll have to re-read this interview when I have a little more time.

I agree with the Alicia Coppola comments, by the way. She's definitely a looker and still is to this day. Went on to do a lot of prime time and I think she's a semi-regular on a show right now (someone help me out?) As I recall, it was her choice to leave AW, not the show's.

• Members

Thanks for posting this article. Very interesting because it's a little before my memories. I probably was sitting in front of the TV watching with my Legos.

I wonder, do you know what explanation was given for Lahoma's absence when Sam returned to Bay City?

I love the picture of Steve, Alice and Rachel. I bet George Reinholt was quite a character in more ways than one!

Wouldn't it be neat if an Another World DVD was released with something from this era? I would love to see Alice's engagement party when Rachel told her was pregnant. Dare to dream!

• Members

Hey Thelma... on Somerset, Sam had been lured into an affair with a woman named Chrystal Ames, who was planted by the syndicate to try and distract Sam from the mob activities at Delaney Brands. The two dallied for a bit... when the going got rough, Sam sent Lahoma and Susannah, their daughter, out of town with the promise he'd join them later. Lahoma found out about the affair and wanted a divorce (off camera).

Sam went to Bay City for about a year and then Lahoma called, wanting a reconciliation. Exit Sam, never to be seen again. lol

• Members

Speaking of "MJ is a whore": What in the hell kind of ending is that to their story? I assume it's been explained before, but I'd love to know the story that led up to the reveal and why on earth they thought this was a good idea? (having said this, this is Frons-era NBC, why am I not surprised?) Can anyone fill in my huge gaps?

• Members

This is the start of the story - when MJ runs into a prostitute who used to know her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdFyekSah5E&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

1987 recaps.

http://www.igs.net/~awhp/aw1987.html

Essentially, MJ was hiding her past as a prostitute; Chad Rollo, who had once been her pimp and/or lover, came to town. She still had feelings for him, but loved Adam, who was an upstanding detective. She tried to keep her past a secret, stealing a black book that had her name in it as a hooker. Chad became friendly with her younger sister, Cheryl, to make her jealous. Chad got a video of MJ from when she was with a john. Two thugs stole the tape from him and a gangster began blackmailing them. After more wrangling over this, Wallingford and Chad stole the tape from the gangster, but the gangster still had a copy, which was sent to Adam.

It seems like a very sordid story, and one of many around this time which presented women as weak, pathetic, desperate.

• Members

You know, they complain that TODAY'S stories are misogynistic, but the more I read about late 80s NBC soaps, the more I realize how much of a common thread there is between Frons eras. Not to give him too much credit, but the amount of rape, slut shaming and 'damsel in distress' storylines in late 80s NBC soaps, more DAYS than AW, and the misogyny that's permeated ABC Daytime since Frons took over...there's, in my eyes, a very clear kinship there. Thoughts?

I can't believe that we were supposed to feel anything but disgust at Adam's reaction to MJ's past. Why was she just whisked out of town? Why couldn't we see her rise above this? THAT'S the main failing of this storyline to my eyes.

Edited by beebs