OLTL: Shaun and Destiny...

• Members

I'm seeing on other forums folks who are completely endeared to these two, but am I the only one who isn't? Shaun is strong and perceptive, but doesn't really strike me as all that...smart. An obscene case of braun over brains. And Destiny, while she seems to have a good heart, dammit, can she BE any more obnoxious & grating? Furthermore, both are portrayed by a pair of rather GREEN actors. The guy playing Shaun always looks and sounds constipated. And the girl playing Destiny is just not an actress, period. I can sort of appreciate the "concept" of both characters (more Destiny than Shaun), but they're both being executed all wrong and need to be recast.

Opinions.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally, I like Destiny. As for Shaun, I could take or leave the character....I don't really feel strongly one way or the other. But I like Destiny because he does not look or act like a typical teenage girl (as does Matthew's crush Becca). In an way I think she is like a breath of fresh air.

• Members

They aren't characters, they're caricatures. Both actors are terrible. Shaun was fine as the token bodyguard who may have garnered a few laughs. Not ever from me though since most of the comedy on this show, sans David Vickers for the most part, is incredibly corny and stilted.

In other words, they are a WASTE of SPACE.

• Members

First of all, while on the subject of bodyguards....they never did mention what happened to Jerome, the guy Todd hired sometime after Shaun got the boot. I know that John shot the guy when he rescued Marty...but they never said if if killed him or not. Also, John shot the guy after breaking into Todd's house to rescue Marty.....at which point in time I don't believe he was a cop.

Anyway, look at this way....anytime we see Shaun and/or Destiny, it means less time that we will have to endure John, Rex, Gigi, Stacy, etc.... And to me that's always a good thing.

• Members

Ah, you see, Shaun and Destiny are so terrible and excruciating to watch, I'd rather watch those four over them anyday. While I'm on the subject, I actually LOVE Stacy. John ... obviously everyone hates him, while Rex is nice to look at and Gigi I just have a whatev feeling about.

• Members

I don't really care about Shaun, especially given the former connection to Vincent. I think Destiny is a nice idea but the actress is dreadful. I don't think it's much to build a new family on, at all. That said, I'm willing to give it a chance since they are being woven in with the Buchanans/Gannons. It will depend on who they hire for the brother and how the story is with Rachel.

• Members

I hate that they have turned Rex into a total moron during this storyline. I get that he is grateful to Stacy, whom he believes helped save Shane's life. But he is a PI....he should be able to see what a bitch she is, and why Gigi is suddenly doing a 180 on him. It's a lot like how the way they dumbed down Viki, Clint, etc.. when Tess was running amuck throughout Llanview and holding Natalie and Jared hostage. Just the idea that she was back never even occurred to anyone in town.

And, as for John, the constant need to stick him in every single storyline is ridiculous. Just for once I would like for him to go away for a month or two (or more) on vacation.

• Members

Shaun and Destiny are both an annoying, futile waste of airtime IMO. Shaun has been on the show for 3 years now, and has had zilch character development. He's just this imposing stump who is featured a few times every other week...disappears for 3 to 4 months at a time...then is abruptly shown again. I liked Todd's other bodygaurd Keys MUCH better. For a dayplayer, he was a more fleshed out character and the actor was much less arthritic. Destiny seems like a caricature plucked from an old UPN sitcom. Her friendship with Matthew has its charm, but she's become a little too attached too soon. And while some people like to speculate that maybe there will be some kind of romance between them later on, I seriously doubt it. She'll sit on the sidelines being his voice of reason, quietly longing for him, while he gets sucked up into the web of characters like Becca. Furthermore I'm not at all enticed by this mysterious "brother" of theirs who Destiny keeps making reference to.

But they are part of the reason why of OLTL keeps coming in under budget. They, along with Fish, Moe, Noelle and those non contract players reviving yesteryear characters are infesting the show like mice...but are inexpensive.

• Members

I actually think this KAD SL would be the perfect way to end John. He came to town because of a serial killer, and he'll leave town because of one. Preferably is a body bag.

I'm totally with you there on Rex. To add to that, he is not above scheming either, so with his experience with that plus being a PI his stupidity is, for lack of a better word, stupid.

• Members

I also think Shawn is meant to be brawn over brain (he's a bodyguard) but there's still something warm and quick about him that I like. He seems to 'get' the others, without saying a word.

Destiny? I don't get at all. I don't know if that kid is crazy-nervous on the set or if she just can't act. Either way, her scenes are painful for me. I can't imagine what it's like to act against her every day. She speaks as if she's reading off of cue cards.

• Members

I really do like the two. I think Destiny is such a firecracker, wish I had a friend like that in high school..haha.. She's awesome. I like the twist when we found out that Shaun is her brother. (we've known Shaun for a few years)

Archived