AMC: Deep Soap: How NOT to introduce a recast

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would love to see what Jeff Beldner and Sara Bibel could do as co-headwriters for AMC on a Frons-free ABC.

But alas I agree Pratt is going to be the last.

I always thought Faith Ford would be a great Liza, especially if they got Kelly Ripa back as Hayley.

• Members

True. I don't know exactly when, because I stopped following it, but it totally plummeted. Like a train off a bridge. :o

Still, I'd love to see her write for a soap. Any soap. I think she's really too frightened or timid and isn't really trying to get back... And it's not easy.

But at this point, she is not head writer material. Not yet.

• Members

She so obviously isn't HW material, but I guess it goes back to that hype thing you and R Sinclair constantly talk about with these former soap writers and their blogs.

All I know is, I wasn't too impressed with Bible's scripts during the Latham era.I was re-watching some 2007 Latham episodes the other day just to judge the contrast between her show and the show now. Maybe it was because Latham was sloppy and just sucked, but I don't remember being too impressed with Bibel's script work. As for the episodes she wrote the breakdown for, I can't even remember one at the moment.

Bibel's not a bad writer, but I don't think I'd personally care if she never got another writing gig again.

• Members

And these blogs prove another startling, incredible, horrific point: that these soaps are written by clueless, uninformed people. No matter if they're younger or not. People who have absolutely no idea of what a good soap opera is and what their audience likes to see. Shocking.

• Members

He's talking about the GL Blogger trips. How was that "whoring"? From what I read, she maintained her objectivity.

Still, those GL trips did achieve their purpose. Some once-more-negative bloggers DID find more to love. I see that as fine...minds should be open, even with columnists. There is no denying that the bloggers were there during the transition point, after which GL storytelling was much more positively viewed.

One is only "objective" if one is negative? I think not.

• Members

LOL. This is old news.

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/dee...in-springfield/

http://www.fancast.com/blogs/deep-soap/deep-soap-set-piece/

This was during the whole, "GL flew me to Peapack and Manhattan to do this piece on their guerrilla, renegade show, so let me kiss their ass and say wonderful things about Ellen Wheeler and GL." She did the same thing in the recent Orlando remote. And after these trips, she has proceeded to praise GL and Wheeler instead of asking the hard-hitting questions longtime fans and critics wanted to know.

Her piece was written as though her boyfriend took her to Tunica(instead of the place she really wanted to go gambling, Vegas or Atlantic City) and now she's overcompensating for being underwhelmed by kissing his ass, thanking him for the trip, and is now saying lots of good things about the new boyfriend in the hopes that she can continue to get more free stuff, vacations, and even a proposal from him.

It's really pathetic. It's one thing to be Soap Opera Digest and have something to lose by speaking your true feelings. But it's another to pretend like, "Hey, I'm speaking for the people! I'm raging against the machine! Soaps have made me feel like a battered, abused girlfriend." Well, what the hell is she doing now, by pimping Peapack? Does she really feel that way? Or is she just saying it to get her free quarterly vacays, courtesy of PGP/TeleNext?

It's one thing to say that you "like" or even "love" it. It's another to praise, lift your hands up, and spread your MacBook for trash like nuGL.

Archived