Y&R: Week of April 13, 2009

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I haven't seen the show yet.

But it is true that Joshua Morrow -- MAN-WHORE NICHOLAS -- THINKS WITH HIS D*CKOLAS -- gave a PSA at the end about responsible sex??? ("Talk with your teen").

Could that be true??

Is there no more responsible "character" who could have been given such a PSA?

(Actually, no. Outside of Michael and Lauren -- who USED to be whores -- who isn't having extramarital/premarital sex on this show? Even Kay and Murphy are shagging without wedlock.)

• Members

I'm glad they got it out of the way. I know, I know - it's so politically incorrect for me to say this. And I know young girls watch the show, and we shouldn't encourage unsafe sex. But I was over the whole "virginal teen heroine wants to wait, and our young teen hero is fine being patient, for years if it takes" storyline years ago. And let's face it - nobody wants a Noah/Eden making love montage.

As long as there's no teen pregnancy storyline, or statutory rape storyline (PLEASE NO, ON BOTH ACCOUNTS!), then I'm glad it's over with. :lol:

• Members

Okay, but you know what?

Just once, I wish a soap could go all "Jocelyn Elder".

"Look, for a lot of reasons, I'm not ready to have intercourse with you. There's disease, there's pregnancy, and there's the symbolic meaning that I've imbued that act with. But there are many ways we can express our love, darling. So let's do some expressin' ". Fade to black.

(That might not be the actual dialogue...but you get my point).

• Members

Joshua Morrow the PERSON delivered the PSA, not Joshua Morrow as Nick Newman. I don't see why it's such a problem, PSA's aren't the show.

How exactly is Noah and Eden having sex a PSA, just as long as there's no teen pregnancy or STD storyline? They had sex, I couldn't care less, but it's not like it wasn't going to happen or it's anything out of the ordinary anymore. Sadly, more and more teens are doing it.

• Members

Sadly? Is it sad? Now it seems you're expressing a value judgment.

I don't know, guys. I have probably been watching too many soaps for too long. But the idea of a couple of 15 year olds having intercourse ... yes it happens ... is just "OMG" in my soap morality.

You and brimike have listed the million teen soap cliches, and I'm glad that they are apparently not going there. On the other hand, I think I might have preferred something more oblique (like Kay and Murphy).

As for "Joshua is not Nick"...really? (I know that, but given the high association between actor and character, and given how slutty Nick is right now...I just feel he's not the right voice. It would be like using an actor who played a pedophile on a crime show as a promoter of a chain of kindergartens. Uh uh. Bad association).

It's funny...I'm just so conditioned to assume that teen sex will always lead to horrible consequences, and spent months being discussed before and after the act. I don't know if I could cope with something more realistic.

• Members

They should have used Tracey Bregman for the PSA . I am sure we will be seeing her have a talk with Eden, she is not in this torrid triangle and is a mother of an 11 yr old and 17 yr old in real life.

Josh Morrow is not Nick Newman but many see him that way, especially when standing on set. Whoever picked him should have thought about the current storyline a bit, especially following today's episode with Nick yet again cheating. I don't think the PSA is supposed to going for irony.

I also feel a bit uncomfortable about a 16 yr old and a 15 yr old having sex so easily because this isn't a story about Noah and Eden. Noah and his relationship with Eden is merely an excuse to have Nick and Sharon spend time alone and for Phyllis' head to explode. They will throw a scene in here or there talking about teens and sex but that story is not fleshed out and just a vehicle for the triangle. Not to mention the actress playing Eden just turned 16 last fall. If they wanted to develop a real teen story, I don't think they would have had them doing it on the Phick couch when Phyllis and Nick were expected back shortly.

Archived