Y&R: Week of April 13, 2009

• Members

I too am watching this with trepidation as well but seeing as this storyline started way back when, it was only a matter of time before we got here. JMHO I think this could very well be one of yet another Phyllis's growth spurts. You always have to knock her down and watch her fight back. Last time we had an almost similar scenario was when she blackmailed Brad. I hate retcons especially this soon :rolleyes: but hopefully we shall see the reason for it.

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Imagine if her next arc is a man pursuing her (not Jack). And imagine if she resists, because she does not trust that a man could truly love her. That could lead to years of drama.

I'm not sure the right guy is on the canvas for that, though. It should be someone closer to her age...near 40...Cane is the only one in that ballpark, I think.

• Members

I agree with that to an extent, but how far can they push that pychosis before Phyllis can't be redeemed? I like her plotting. I don't like her completely psycho. And Nick is so not worth it. If Phyllis is not careful, I could see her losing Summer if she goes too far.

• Members

There's varying levels of "crazy" we're looking at here. The thing about Phyllis (the Phyllis of the last few years anyway) is that she can be fine as long as no one's interfering in her life. But the second somebody pushes her "insecure" button, she's like a cornered cat that lashes out any way she can. I don't think we'll ever see the "psychotic" that liked to mow people down in her car again. She's not going to turn into Sheila Carter (I mean that metaphorically, not literally... since LML already did that). The "new" Phyllis will manipulate and use and lie to keep what she feels is rightfully hers, but I never expect her to go full-on BSC. Not anymore at least.

Same with Sharon - whatever's going on with her mentally, it strikes me more as a nervous breakdown. She's not going to start stabbing people or anything. (I hope not - that would do a great disservice to the really powerful story they're telling, and Sharon Case's really moving, messed up performance)

I see both women as irrevocably damaged, and emotionally screwed up to no end. But I don't see (nor do I want to see) either one going full-on "lunatic".

• Members

Well I certainly don't want Michelle to play the good heroine...thank you very much!! :lol: That's not why I watch her in action. And I am sure she doesn't either.

But what the new writers appears to be doing is giving Phyllis a bit of everything here. The loyal wife, the good mother trying to make up for past mistakes, businesswoman, slighty obsessed woman :lol: with a tinge of mischief & mayhem :P , along with her trademark unpredictability and feistiness. That is kind of character I want on my screen, they don't have to show that to me all the time, spurts will do. I like this trend, it looks to me anyway that the new writers are taking almost those characters that are sort of "not right in the head" :P down a big notch to build them back up so that they can create their own canvas to work with it for a while.

And I completely agree with you Y&R, Phyllis is best when she is the underdog..and as Michael said to her, she is the INCUMBENT so I am going to really relish watching her do watch she does when she is the underdog, hopefully in a different manner this time.

• Members

Re: the Phickon triangle. I am enjoying the Double Crazy right now, but the only pay-off to this so-far great triangle would be if both women eventually wise up and kick Nick to the curb. He's not doing this to be cruel, but the fact is that he is playing both women. And that is cruelty enough.

I worry, though, that Nick (like any true son of Victor Newman) is the sort of teflon character that never really pays for his actions. Plenty of women have gone fruit-loops over the Mustache but he comes out smelling of roses and doing exactly what he wants while they end up in a looney bin or forever pining after him. I don't want either Sharon or Phyllis to be following the same cycle of mental deterioration/miscarriages/murder/valium/rebound relationships/affair with Nick/metal deterioration etc., etc.

I've decided that I would rather watch Kevin Schmidt playing Noah-Nerdy-Sidekick to his Mean Girls "aunt" Abby than romancing Eden. He is a great young actor and I could see him growing into a quirky, heart-of-gold, viable young lead. There are so many bad boys on soaps that it is refreshing to see a decent guy so affectingly played (Blake Berris was another one before Days got rid of him). But with another romantic partner. VM has improved, but the young-love SL isn't drawing me in.

By the way, the background music during a lot of the Phyllis and Shick scenes? Paul Roach seemed to be dipping into his Santa Barbara music library. So much of that music sounded like late-80s Days and SB.

• Members

Sigh. I really thought Nick was it! He had progressed so much post-divorce from Sharon: Good dad to Noah, good son to Victor (really helping him, emotionally, through the epilepsy). Reassuring and loving spouse to Phyllis...and a true partner to her (e.g., Restless Style). The scripting had turned to making Nick sound more like Joshua Morrow--a no b.s. straight-talkin' kind of a guy. Heck--he put out fires on his wedding day!!

Alas, now Nick-the-d*ck is back...and I can barely stand to watch him on my screen.

I fail to see how this is progress.

• Members

Nick was decent ca. 1995-1996 after being framed by Matt Clark.

Actually it is basically always a corelation to Vickie: When she used to be in ultra b*tch-mode, Nick suddenly appealed to me as not half as bad. But after a few moments sanity came back and I realized that he's still ol' Prince D*ickolas. :P

Archived