CBS cancels Guiding Light

• Members

Though I have rarely watched in recent years, GL was my favorite tv show from 1988-93. It was soap opera at its finest. So many actors stood out in particular: the one and only Beverlee Mckinsey, Michael Zaslow, Jean Carol, Rachel Miner, Melina Kanakaredes, Sherry Stringfield, Kimberly Simms, the list is endless. Fantastic actors and stories defined this show for many years. It has had its ups and downs but will never be forgotten.

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

R.I.P. GUIDING LIGHT... That's all I can say... It certainly entertained me during some trying times in my life as a young teen feeling alone and ostracized for being gay... but I could always "turn on the Light" and find solace in watching Reva, Harley, Annie, Dinah (Wendy Moniz) and all the denizens of Springfield USA. The mid-to-late 90's were my favorite GL times, along with its brief resurgence in 2002.

GL had so much potential, yet like my other fave (DAYS), the powers-that-be just don't take it in the direction that it could go.

I will always have fond memories of this show and the incredible actors who made up the canvas during its best years.

• Members

I wonder how long of a contract Heinle signed in 2005.... I would presume 3 or 4 yrs, so she either got a new one last year, or like a few weeks ago.

Oh well, 13 weeks isn't far off, especially when it seems its been 13 weeks since we last saw her LOL.

• Members

Now, now, if Y&R can land Gina Tognoni as Victoria, they need to play this slickly.

You know, fire Amelia after her 13 week contract cycle, write Victoria and JT off for "storyline purposes", and then reintroduce a new Victoria played by Gina Tognoni a few months later in the year.

:D:D:D

I hope Gina doesn't go back to OLTL, Kelly is such an annoyingly dull charater. Gina never shined as an actress until she started playing Dinah on GL.

• Members

Well, I wasn't speaking of P&G pulling their prime time advertizements... I was talking about them pulling all their DAYTIME sponsorship. And they can sell their wares on other networks, Dancing with the stars and American Idol can surely pull the ratings they look for. My main point is that wouldn't P&G become offended if CBS Cancelled BOTH of their soaps?

• Members

It's very unfortunate that this has to happen. When I saw that link from CBS Press Express I knew it wasn't a joke, but wow, I knew it was coming, but it's still a shock, no matter what.

Archived