Y&R: Week of March 30, 2009

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The last two days have quite possibly been the best soap opera episodes in a long, long time. Jess Walton was ON FIRE! It was so captivating to watch. And something tells me, this is just the beginning.

• Members

1. Yesterday, and again today, I noticed the revamped Kay living room set. (I see I'm not the only one). So many revelations! Obviously, I didn't realize (but it makes sense) how close the front window is to Kay's sofa. I didn't realize that the foyer was a "step up" from both the living room and the dining room. It was interesting to see the art on the front wall.

So cool that a 36 year old set can still be made to surprise us.

=============

2. The "rehearsal dinner" was classic, but for me, there were two big realizations:

a. As the one to call for peace and tell everyone to get their act together, Ashley is the new John Very good idea.

b. I don't recall often seeing that dining room at night. I loved the soft purple nightlight coming through the window and framing Jill.

=============

3. In about 1982, I'd guess, when Ashley was new on the show, Jack was about to get married against his will (John required him to be married to become President of Jabot). Jack proposed to Patty Williams. But, for one last fling, he had drunken office-sofa sex with Diane Jenkins, Jabot lead model. Ashley, brand new to the show, stumbled upon them. And she was FIERCE! She got Diane to skulk out of their. She got Jack ("Jackie", actually) washed up and sobered up, yelling at him with her stern tongue. She excoriated him for his betrayal. And she got him to the wedding on time...launching one of the most dysfunctional stories of that time. (After all, eventually Patty SHOT Jack...and then got amnesia).

Well, here we are in 2009. Ashley says she's gonna meet Billy in the morning. He's marrying for duty, not love. He's getting drunk with a skanky ho.

I'm delighted that we might see that memorable bit of history repeat itself. I just hope Chloe doesn't shoot Billy down the line :)

=============

4. We dodged a real bullet with Jess Walton (i.e., the threat that she was either too sick to return, or that negotiations would break down). The two layers she was playing in the trailer -- her words all disbelieving about Marge, but her face clearly betraying that she knew. And in beautiful Walton fashion, Jill is bitter, alone, isolated.

It is a thing of beauty, when she plays that abandoned, lost girl. Suddenly, I realize why I hated the Jill-Kay maternity plot. Jess' Jill works best when she is utterly alone... With a mother, she was never truly alone...so we didn't see that venom and bitterness. Now, Jill is free to be brittle and ugly again...and Kay reacts to that with her own ugliness. That dance of twisted angry souls is a remarkable thing to watch.

Now, though, we have the extra layer of the fact that Jill and Kay also _do_ love each other. This makes me think there is something good to come out of this mother-daughter thing: the "feud" will be richer and more complex than ever. I can't wait to watch.

Archived