ATWT: March Discussion Thread

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Bad writing (or lazy, repetitive and heartless writing) is why the talk about the show on the board has dried up. It's why there's a monthly thread, and every couple of months a "fire Pissy/cancel ATWT" threat pops up.

That being said...even with bad writing, usually the actors are able to salvage something...some small moment of truth in the flotsam of story being regiritated. I rarely, if ever, even see that "moment" in a Nuke story. That's why I criticize Jake and Van's acting. Maybe it's something that more experienced actors connect with, maybe it's something the director isn't helping them find---whatever. Whatever it is---I don't see it from them. That's why I don't get the hoopla over Nuke. But admittedly, it's a personal perception.

No...I couldn't bear if Parker died. He's a teen, teens are inherently stupid. LOL. I disliked that Carly went along with it, and I loathed that Craig was the instigator. I felt for Jack. But saying that...I'm not sure why Jack thought such an amateur move would work. Like he told the DA, Parker's grown up around cops, he's already been in some serious trouble. Craig had just hired a lawyer and gotten him out on bail. Why Jack assumed Craig wouldn't be right there holding Parker's hand baffles me.

I just really hate where this is headed. I don't think Carly is really proud of the strings Craig pulled, or how this was handled. And I found it interesting Jack didn't tell Janet about his little plan until he was forced to.

• Members

I don't think any of you would want to support this cause, but just in case:

http://dontcancelastheworldturns.wetpaint.com/

I just have to say that there are SEVERAL shows and networks that still won't show two men kissing or even being together. They got targeted by the AFA (American Family Association) who said it was inappropriate for daytime, etc., but they did not succeed despite their efforts. They did risk losing viewers to put a gay couple on daytime, even to show Luke's coming out story, whether you like it or not.

• Members

i think that's another issue entirely -- and has nothing to do with the suck story that is nuke.

you can applaud ATWT for showing the kiss and keeping nuke together until the cows come home, but that won't make what we're seeing now any better.

it's EMBARRASSING to watch, just PAINFUL. i wonder what the actors think when they get those scripts.

• Members

I just tried to watch Damian's return on ATWT. The first scene I caught with Damian and Luke in the hospital.

Luke is the most annoying gay character EVER. I don't know if it VH or the script, or both of them, but this was once again unwatchable. This boy has serious issues.

• Members

Eh, I just don't see how anything ATWT is doing should be significant anywhere other than daytime. ATWT and daytime as a whole have been really, really, really late to the party as far as gay/bi characters and storylines are concerned. IMO, kissing is a small, small part of a bigger picture...there has to be a believable love story behind that kissing for me to really enjoy it, and as far as I'm concerned, when it comes to believable love stories, Luke and Noah did not have one. If I had to pick between the two, if I had to choose either to have a gay couple who kisses and what-not without a believable love story behind it or to have a non-kissing couple with a believable love story (barring, of course, the lack of kissing), I'd definitely go with the latter. It's why I felt so much for Luke and Kevin as a potential couple...that whole thing was a wonderful set up for a relationship between the two of them, IMO, and though they might have ran into a few cliches (gay guy loves straight best friend, tells him, gets rejected, but then straight best friend isn't all that straight after all!), it'd be a hell of a lot more interesting than the boring cliches we have now (The evil Colonel hates the gay! Brian has the gay and hates it! Kevin's campaign manager hates the gay! Mr. Roper hates the gay!).

A stack of video tapes, people! A STACK OF VIDEO TAPES!!!!

• Members

However it has been showen that in recent times shows/networks can take on AFA and win, and not lose the audiance.

I mean... The-N, a tween/teen network, had several gay/bi teens on Degrassi - showed them dating, kissing, falling in love, triangles, everything. They had another show, South Of Nowhere about a lesbian in love with a bisexual girl who had a thing for her ex boyfriend. The Network and the shows were protested by AFA and they tried to shut them down. The shows refused, the network refused, and Degrassi is still the higest rated show on the network.

However i dont need to see luke & noah having sex. Or even in a passionate makeout. Thats not gonna make or break the story for me. My issue is the story itself - it sucks. Luke & Noah are boring, have little chem, and are just so cliche. I cant stand it. IMHO ATWT's biggest mistake was making Noah gay. They should have either made him Bi, because then they have more story options, or keep him as a str8 guy but have him had fallen for Luke.

I dont think its as simple as get rid of Noah either, and i dont get the fanfare for this Kevin guy either, okay so hes played bya slightly better actor and slightly more interesting than Noah, slightly at most. Thats not enough. The real issue is Luke, hes so boring. And that fine, i kinda like having a young gay man with really no issue with the fact that hes gay in a hero type role. However, for that to work they need to pair him with a bad boy, someone with some edge. Not someone just as plain as him. Or better yet, why tell a romance at all? I hate that all soaps only tell storys involving couples now. Why not have Luke making friends, show his life. Because a gay guy/str8 guy frioendship can be uber complicated, esp when other people stat talking. There is just so much more they could do, and they dont. But IMHO it has nothing to do with them being gay - its because this is how ATWT is.

• Members

I agree with your entire post, my love, but especially this, and especially the bold part. The whole idea is just too damn creative for them to even consider.

The main thing that would make Luke more interesting to me is if he was with someone who was unlike him. Give me a bad ass gay guy, or even better, a bad ass who doesn't feel like labeling his sexuality. He sleeps with who he wants to sleep with, doesn't care what people think about it one or the other, and he hates cause girls like Luke who immediately jump into the role of Great Educator whenever the occasion calls for it. And then slowly build this relationship...take a whole year if need be. Have them be adversaries, have them clash over the different ways they've dealt with their sexualities. The sexual tension grows, and then something happens, something that causes them to need each other, and Luke wants this bad ass in the worst possible way, but the bad ass is too bad ass to allow himself to want a guy like Luke, and then there is all sorts of drama.

I'm not an expert on how to write a soap opera, but I am indeed an expert on what I like to watch, and that would be it. As opposed to...."Me Luke! You Noah! Noah no really like Maddie! Noah really like me! Kiss me!"

• Members

im with you.

the thing is... everyone knows good soap romances are the good guy or girl with the bad guy or girl... so why not the good boy with a bad boy?

and id love it if Luke fell for some guy who didnt label himself as anything, and wasnt all about i am gay give me equal right blah blah blah. i like that Luke is like that, i do. But not every gay guy is. Some really dont care. Luke lets being gay define who he is, id love it if he was with someone who didnt let it factor into who he was at all.

• Members

Well, you all have the right to your opinion, of course, but it isn't the opinion of most of the ATWT audience. Van Hansis is regularly in the best performers for ALL soaps in the SID mag (he was 3rd this week). Last year he was nominated for an Emmy, and this year he is in the pre-noms. I heard he was going to submit the scenes from the break-up last summer.

I think he's a great actor. Really knows how to convey emotions well; is beliavable, and his coming-out scenes a few years back were phenomenal. I really believed that he was a young man struggling with his sexuality.

Even if you don't like him as an actor, to say that he is awful seems a bit extreme. But, to each his own.

Archived