OLTL: Discussion for the week February 23

• Members

But I thought the '68 stuff didn't alter history as much as it illuminated it with the different characers living out the predestined/"already happened" histories of the characters they were inhabiting. In other words, Bo always slept with David's mother, Rex as Bo and Gigi as David's mom just lived it out/recreated what had already happened.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Nora: I knew you were a thief, a gigolo and criminal, but I had no idea you were cruel.

David: Must be the Buchanan in me.

Dorian: I'm here to talk about you sleeping with David Vickers.

Roxy: Are you saying I slept with a dog?

:lol:

• Members

Well I'll say this, they're doing a good job of keeping me guessing with this yo-yo paternity stuff. Sure I wanna know the real deal once and for all, but a. it feels like they're making it up as they go, and 2. I'm not confident that the "truth" will stay the truth once it's out.

• Members

Of course David is gonna turn out to be Bo's son.

Rex slept with Emma(lusting after Gigi). I can undersand perfectly why a gold digger like Emma would pass off Bo's son as Asa's. Didn't Bo as Asa and Emma sleep together anyway in 1968? Of course Asa would think it's his child, although not knowing it was actually his grandson. It wasn't so much as changing history, but more adding more detail and depth to something wasn't shown on show.

I'm interested more in how this affects the character of David. Could he actually down the road try to be a better person for his dad (Bo's) sake?

• Members

Bo being David's father is some of the worst writing I've seen . This "twist" is just plain garbage. They laid the foundation for years he was Asa' son and all that gets thrown out the window on some moronic fantasy that was stupid to begin with. There was no payoff whatsoever and I feel cheated having to sit through years for that reveal. It's mind boggling to me that RC is still being hailed as a genius who has respect for OLTL's history.

• Members

"Asa is David's father" is not some sacred trust with the audience. It was a shitty, derivative idea Dena Higley came up with a few years ago. IMHO RC has made the best of it and I find it much more interesting that Bo is David's dad. That is just comedy gold for years to come.

That said, today's episode was truly substandard for the most part. That dream was a cringeworthy moment for the ages, and usually I find RC's humor funny and not stupid, but that was deeply stupid and embarrassing. And there is so much teens it's ridiculous. I can't believe that part of it is Carlivati. I hope all these stories are wrapping, leading to the REAL story of Rex's father, with more scary and less infantilism.

• Members

I agree.

Today's episode was all frosting and no cake for me. Just too much of what should be only there in a small dose and not enough of what I'm really watching for. The teens were probably my favorite part of the show, especially Markko and Cole.

I think I see what they're doing with Moe and Noelle. Noelle was very Wanda Wolek-ish in her scenes with Markko and Layla, and I guess I like that. It gives her purpose, and it works, so I withdraw my Moe/Noelle hate for the time being.

• Members

I haven't been a big fan of all this David hamminess, but the way he was looking at his long-lost son Rex the other day had me cracking up. Bo as David's father weakens his position in the family, I guess legally all of the stuff Asa promised as his father is null and void since he'd really be his grandfather? I like twists and I like everyone being one big happy family like at the end of a Shakespeare comedy, but David Vickers AND Rex Balsom, two satellite characters that became popular both becoming Buchanans reads a little fan-fictiony to me. Kinda cheap. They did the same thing with Tina and Todd (though much more dynamically imo). There's no law saying that these people can't just marry into the family and produces more heirs, or God forbid have more relatives come to town. I think OLTL sees David being a Buchanan as more of a tether than anything else, the best way they could come up with justifying his many returns.

• Members

what the heck was up with all that head twitching from Langston today? The actress was really bugging me when she was ranting to Starr

How many years have they been dragging out this story about Asa's son? We first thought it was Spencer, what like 3 years ago? We found out it was David, 2 years ago and its been dragging since. Look at all they did with it with characters finding out, keeping secret, and WEEKS of the Buddhist crap. David finds out he's Asa's son and they reveal he's not a few days later. WTF? Thats the payoff that people have been waiting for and they didnt even let that settle before rewriting it. And what is up with the HORRIBLE DNA tests in Llanview? How many paternity tests have been proven false in the past TWO days? Its giving me a headache. I really dont think that the show knows what the heck its doing here, but Ive lost all patience and interest. For all I care they could reveal Roxy as Asa's kid. Let me not give them any ideas bc they probably will.

Natalie/Jared are the ONLY reasons worth watching right now. Would have said Tea too but she's on her way out

• Members

I'm bitter about the airtime for Jared/Natalie and Viki/Charlie, these are really the only two couples I like and they are hardly ever on anymore. I was getting tired of Tea until she was in those scenes with Ray and Cris, guess it was just her with Todd that had me wishing she would disappear.

Archived