February 9-13, 2009

Toups

• Members

I didn't know whether the wedding would pull in big ratings or not. I know that some churches around here due to the fact that ABC promoted it were pushing their members to boycott the show this week. I have heard similar things throughout other parts of the Bible belt as well.

They didn't make a big media blitz about it or anything. If you didn't hear from word of mouth around here you didn't know about it. I only saw one church that had it on their front billboard.

Who knows whether they listened or not?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Maybe a lot of them did listen. If they did it still did not do much damage to AMC's ratings since the rest of the week(dailies) were pretty much on the same path which is to say the ratings stayed stagnant or stable as they had been. Not even Greenlee's dramatic(stunt) exit inspired a spike in the ratings either. So it seems that AMC's core base audience is between 1.9-2.1 in HH with not much room for any growth. The demos have stayed the same or one only point higher or lower as well. It clear that all soaps had a bad downward turn last week.

I do think Pratt has been writing some very bad and unpopular stories for the show. He is not a good fit for AMC. He has turned the show into something completely different and not for the better. Pratt is not properly utilizing the characters, couples, or actors. So AMC is just treading water and remaining stagnant or stable. All ABC soaps are showing no real growth. Frons and the head writers are to blame.

• Members

Oh I have NO doubt he'll blame the lesbian wedding and he'll probably say people did NOT want to see two women get married :rolleyes:

They promoted the HECK out this wedding, wait scratch that, they promoted the heck out of the kiss and made it sound like something more was going to happen with Reese & Zach and making the wedding seem like an AFTERTHOUGHT

I was willing to give him a chance, but yeah he's a bad fit for AMC. He's trying to make the characters into what HE wants them to be, NOT what it's been established(for years for most) they already are.

• Members

That would have dented the ratings. I'm not sure how many of those viewers would be watching AMC anyway since the show had also let the soap press know that Reese/Bianca would kiss and have a love scene, but a wedding is always more polarizing.

I think what Pratt needs is a co-head writer. Someone like Nancy Curlee, if she's still writing.

Only in the past month or so has GL started to come back from the reputation of being horrible. If the quality can continue then hopefully the ratings might slowly inch up if the show is given time.

• Members

I don't know why all the trash talk about GL and their ratings.....because all of your negative comments does not help GL or daytime soaps for that matter!

This is the way I look at.....they are holding steady at a 1.7 while others have dropped. GL has managed to rise from a 1.4 - 1.5 to 1.7 in the last few weeks. It takes a while to get back viewers and I see them getting a lot of viewers over the next few months because of the very muched improved writing and returning favorites. Also GL seems to be looking better and the camera shooting has improved greatly!

GH is at a 2.1 in 3rd place and GL is at a 1.7 in 8th place. There is really no difference in my opinion of .4 difference because it is not even a full ratings point. As a matter of fact all the shows in 3rd-7th place should be ashamed of themselves for the ratings they have because they do have the best times slots and shown in most markets while GL does not!

I expect DOOL to tumble because of all the recent firings....I will not be surprised if it is near the bottom again while OLTL, AMC, and GH are big messes too and will tumble too! Make my words....GL will be in 3rd- 5th place come May 2009!

Just my thoughts!

• Members

I wouldn't shed tears over his departure, but every time I think the show can't get worse with a writing change, they find a way. I think instead of changing writers again they might be better off trying to find a balance for him.

GH is losing ground in those demos and DAYS has been making huge cuts in spite of their demos, so they can't be the end all be all. Daytime has chased away so many viewers in this appeal for youth. I'm hoping they will see sense before they chase away the few they have left.

With the economy the way it is I wonder how much longer this 18-34 stuff is even going to go on. Probably forever, but I know a lot of 18-34 year olds who have absolutely no disposable income. I have less and less understanding for why they're the big commodity for advertisers.

• Members

I am still in the long run hearing more good about Pratt's AMC than I am bad. Most people I come in contact with in real life are enjoying it a whole lot more than they did with B&E. Pratt is not perfect and a co-writer would probably be really good for him.

As far as him changing the characters. AMC's character have had no real definition for years now. Every writer that has been there since right before McT and on through has come in with their own agenda. Kendall goes from bitch under one, to almost stepford wife, back to selfish wench, and on and on. Ryan has been damaged. Kendall has been damaged. And so on and so forth. Poor JR has had so many different personalities it is not even funny anymore.

I for one have loved what Pratt has done overall. I love what he has especially done for Amanda, Kendall (he made me like her again), Erica, Tad, Krystal, Annie, Aidan and Adam. Those characters didn't even resemble themselves anymore for the most part and Amanda finally has some definition.

He needs to cut back on the murders and hopefully he will soon. The best thing he has done for AMC for me is given it back some balance. And that was sorely missed over the last few years.

As to GL fans - have we not learned anything from the last few years. Do any of you remember the way the Days fans boasted when Hogan was announced as the new HW. So many of them predicted doom and gloom for other soaps and said Days would be #1 by spring.

Mama always told me not to count my chickens before they hatched. She also said to set realistic goals.

GL still has many hurdles to climb. The biggest one is the fact it is not shown in every market anymore and the other is the fact that in many markets it is shown early in the morning. Also in one market they get it a day behind the others. Those are difficult things to overcome.

It is getting better and I hope for more good for it.

Archived