Y&R: Anyone else jumpin' on the Phick Bus?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I am a 32-34 year veteran of the Y&R and I have been a fan of the show most of my adult life, and all the characters that have come and gone. This is the only soap that I have consistently watch all these years. There is not a soap out there that I have not watched at one time or another, and I am a Phick fan, that does not make me deluded or fanatic. I just love the pairing, it does not mean that I don't like other characters out there with the exception of Lame ( I just cannot wrap my head around them) but oh well.

I just am not a big fan of Sharon and Nick and if that makes me a fool then oh well. I am never going to deny it and I am one of those fans who write letters and make my displeasure known. The writers may toss it in the trash I really don't care, I know what I like and I shout it loud. Everyone likes what they like and that is ok, everyone has a right to their opinions and it is all good, but it does not change for me why I like Phick and as long as they are a couple I am going to root for them. When they break up I will be very sad, but I will move on, that is the nature of soaps, nothing last forever. I as a fan and can only talk about what I like about them, I have never presumed to talk for other fans of the Y&R. I know what I like and if I find like fans so much the better.

And as a Phick fan, I make no apologizes, I think the actors are great and I am a big fan of Michelle and Joshua. So until the breakup and the actors leave I will continue to wave the Phick banner and make no apologizes about it

• Members

being a Soap Opera Fan is like being a Baseball fan or Football fan or a Hockey Fan or a Basketball Fan....you have your favorites on each team...and you have the players you love to hate...Like the Dallas Cowboys...just because I can not stand Terrell Owens does not mean I am not a Cowboy Fan.

I have never been a Nick and Sharon Fan...from the beginning.... before SC took over the role...and nothing and no one will make me be a fan of them...sorry...

But I am a PHICK fan .... and I support my favorites by making my voice heard to TPTB, how else will they know what I, a FAN feel!!! I can't buy their jersey or go watch them film the show...so I vote for them in polls, I write the show, MAB, Barbara Bloom or whoever has their job next to tell them what I like or don't like about MY SHOW.

• Members

Khan, Steve Frame, and bellcurve, you all nailed it perfectly. These vocal couple and character fan bases with their agendas are a detriment to the soap genre, especially when writers listen to them at the expense of the show and the rest of the audience who just want to good storytelling.

• Members

all Nick and Phyliss fans ( and I am sure Lily and Cane fans and Michael and Lauren fans, etc.) want is good storyltelling...not the BS we have gotten the past year and the entire month of November, December and now January....it is like 10 different people are writing the show and NOBODY knows what the other did...there has not been any continuity in the storytelling that is the problem and THAT is what is driving soap opera fans away....I swear soap opera writers need to be replaced by the fans...the current crop of soap opera writers DO NOT KNOW their characters or their history....that is sad!!!!

without the fans and the fanbases there is no Soap Operas....plain and simple....

• Members

wow I just can't get over when so many people are praising shows or really liking a show to hear some fans call it bs or bad.

So many people are loving AMC right now but the fan bases are not.

So many people are praising and loving Y&R but the fan bases call the greatness that has been happening BS and bad. And the above post is not the first.

Not all but many fans seem to be happy with these shows of late. I get so tired of that statement made so many times that the fan bases are not happy.

And for so long that is what has been wrong with the writers and the writing on soaps. They are working to make the FAN BASES happy and not the FANS.

We need writers who concentrate on writing a good story, keeping the thoughts of the FANS in mind, and not trying to make any group or age group in particular happy. Work to make the show well rounded and all the fans happy.

• Members

what makes you think the writers are writing to make any fanbase happy???? because trust me the Nick and Phyllis fanbase has not been happy for over a year and evidently the Nick and Sharon fanbase has not been happy since 2005....if the writers were writing to appease the fanbases they are doing a really bad job!!!

the really bad writing job is the constant regurgitation of storylines from years gone by....there is NO creativity...there is no moving forward....sorry but soap are not suppose to repeats of shows from 5 or 10 years ago....I want something new and refreshing !!!! we get 260 or so shows a year....each one is new not like prime time shows where you get 16 to 20 and then get repeats...this is what sets soap operas apart from prime time shows...but of late the writing...especially on Y & R sucks and it is like MAB has taken a script from 1997 and is using it as a templete for a show in 2009!!!! that is what is sad....

personally I would love for Phyllis to dump Nick on his fine butt and walk away from him without a look back...if he wants Jack and Brad and his own left overs...fine...go back and see how long it is before MAB has Nick and Sharon cheating again...and putting fans to sleep because all the couple has been good at for the 10 years they were together is cheating and cheap contrived sex to make up for their infidelity....that is not good drama....that is lazy writing....

• Members

I can't believe you, of all people, are complaining about a lack of good story and continuity for Nick/Phyllis. After a good year and a half of hack storytelling that had very little buildup, followup, or emotional investment of any kind, 2008 was the year Y&R finally went back to the kind of slow, character driven storytelling that made the show a success from day one(when you allegedly began watching).

If you love "Phick" so much, you should be happy that your favorite couple actually has a real story with high stakes conflict that could go either way(Nick with Sharon, Nick with Phyllis), instead of forcing said couple to push a liberal agenda via pink mood rings, solar panels, and biodegradable Dixie cups at the Athletic Club.

Maria Arena Bell(faults and all) could piss on a blank page and it would be better than the crap Lethal wrote for Nick/Phyllis.

And without fans, you're right, there is no soap opera. Without (rabid) fanbases, there's room to be rational.

What's funny is that this rant is the perfect and most accurate description for Nick/Phyllis.

• Members

if the writing from MAB and her crew of hacks was sooooo great, why has Y & R been losing so many viewers

we 01/09

Y&R 5,330,000 (-55,000/-191,000)

we 01/02

Y&R 5,385,000 (+131,000/-328,000)

we 12/26

Y&R 5,254,000 (+30,000/-498,000)

we 12/19

Y&R 5,215,000 (+45,000/-444,000)

we 12/12

Y&R 5,170,000 (+154,000/-610,000)

we 12/5

Y&R 5,016,000 (-93,000/-630,000)

the numbers don't lie....the fans of the show are tuning out...and turning off .... if this is suppose to be a gage to grade MAB....she is failing miserably....the loss of viewers is not a good thing for Y & R and soaps in general....

• Members

I think it is called my OPINION...MAB ruined PHICK since her first day of writing...she has ruined EVERY couple on Y & R with her bad writing and no knowledge of character history....sorry you don't agree but I will keep my opinion..

there is nothing alledged about when I started watching...is poster bashing the best come back you can come up with???

I love the MS and JM are giving us the great scenes like we saw this week, for me it shows the chemistry and electricity that I first saw during the summer of 2005....but the lead up to this angst was drivel and contrived...bad writing and yes NO CONTINUITY ... it is like a whole new writer took over from the time Nick left Phyllis and Summer to get on the plane to go to Paris.... sorry but again...my OPINION

Latham had her faults...but she was not riding on the coat tails of Bill Bell and being touted as the second coming...sorry but MAB would not have this job if her last name was not BELL......

and no my description was totally and entirely about MY FEELINGS and OPINION of Nick and Sharon ...

Archived