American Idol: Discussion Thread

Toups

• Replies 643
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It's a shame James is gone. He reminded me a lot of Adam Lambert. But I have to say aside from Pia no one in the top 10 excited me. Lauren is cute and beautiful and sweet and talented but she lacks so much confidence. Shes much too young.

Scotty just bores me. He's consistant and good but the guy has no it factor or spark at all. I wouldn't be shocked to see him win. I am sure all the teen girls

will vote for him.

I like Haley, She has the it factor. Yeah she can kind of be a b*tch but she also has had the only real standout performance on Idol this year. Her rendition of House of the Rising Sun last week was by far the best performance on Idol this season. The issue I have with her is she's not consistant. I have no issues with the criticisms of her song choices last week or this week. I admire her for the choices and being bold but at this point its about making each performance

count and knowing who you are. I think viewers are gravitating to her more because the judges have been much harsher with her than others and not that I don't think she warranted the criticism but when people like Scotty get great feedback every week it makes you wonder.

I think with James gone the interest will drop. I think he was well liked, was a consistant performer, and to me had something special. I think the viewers loved him and rooted for him.

this has been a meh year anyway. There is no Lee or David Cook or Archuletta or Jennifer Hudson. But honestly does it matter who wins. Those who have that special quality like Jennifer or Daughtry or Lambert will move on and be successful whether they win or not. Jordan Sparks won and where is she?

• Members

I don't think Scotty comes across nice at all. I've always felt that he comes off SO arrogant. He thinks he's the sh!t, and he's not. He sounds the same every week and he's a carbon copy of every other male country singer we already have.

I like Lauren Alain's personality a LOT, but I don't think she's anything special. Didn't she win this show 6 years ago under a different name? Thought so.

• Members

EW and one other site send reporters to each show, and they both posted articles on Friday saying that Haley cried when James was eliminated. Haley is laid back, which is a trait that some might mistake for arrogance, but if she were truly arrogant, I doubt that she would be the main person who has improved as the season has progressed. Lauren has been treading water all season, Scotty has been afraid to try anything new, and James thought that smoke and mirrors and flaming pianos would be good substitutes for vocal control. James was too concerned about the flash: the flaming pianos, guitar solos, outfits, running around, and could have cared less about whether or not he hit the right notes, song a melody, or how he sounded vocally.

• Members

This season has seen the ratings increase in comparison to last year, and that's the first time since 2007 that the show has accomplished that feat. They are averaging 2 million more viewers this year in comparison to last year, and while other shows are down at least 10% in the key demos, American Idol is up.

I do think that there is a problem, but it's not lack of talent. Jimmy Iovine has been given too much control, and the result is that we aren't getting a good idea about who these contestants are. Jimmy is producing more the recorded tracks, instead of giving them something that works well live and on television. We haven't had too many, if any, "moments". There haven't been any performances like Fantasia's Summertime, Adam Lambert's Mad World, Kris Allen's Heartless or Ain't No Sunshine, or David Cook's Hello or Billie Jean. Despite having professional producers, the song arrangements have been boring, karaoke, and at times lazy.

That being said, every time that someone leaves people say that the ratings are going to go down and that people will stop watching, but it never happens.

• Members

Where r u getting your numbers?? Idol is down from last year. There demos might still be high but the show has been going downhill for years in the ratings.

I'm looking forward to the X factor with Simon Cowell and Paula Abdul. I hope it beats AI in the ratings.

• Members

This isn't true. From April 20, 2011 New York Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/21/arts/television/american-idol-ratings-uptick-suggests-staying-power.html?_r=1

The story was reposted by CNN on April 25th, 2011 http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/25/american-idol-ratings-up-this-season/

April 7th from the Atlanta Journal and Constitution Newspaper http://blogs.ajc.com/american-idol-blog/2011/04/07/idol-ratings-now-ahead-of-season-9/ This one includes the tidbit that the show is on track to finish 5 to 6% ahead of last season in terms of total viewers.

The show started off more than 20% lower during the first two episodes, but quickly caught up, by the first part of February both seasons were tied, but this season moved ahead of last season when we reached the top 13.

• Members

Did you hear Hayley tell Beyonce that she grew up listening to her? I feel ancient. Beyonce is right that her rasp is genuine, but I say the growl is forced.

I'm sorry but I think Scotty is kind of one-note and overrated. His voice is almost like his schtick. I know that is sort of an unfair thing to say as a lot of country singers sound like him but it is like that red-headed guy seasons ago who sounded like Buble, or hell, like Buble himself... they do this affected wannabe Sinatra *thing* with their voices and everything they sing is less about the song and more about that *thing*.

Archived