December 29, 2008 - January 2, 2009

Toups

• Members

I agree with you but as I said if the shows survive on smaller budgets that core audience if they are fan base centric will be ignored if they cannot afford to meet the demands of it's stars. And it will possibly come to that.

It will come down to whether the stars can accept and work with what the shows can afford - unless ratings go up and they can once again give stars like Erika Slezak and Tony Geary their contract demands. I just don't see it happening anymore.

And if the stars are not willing to work for less then we may lose a lot of them.

I am not sure how I feel about that either but it is a reality that we are all going to have to face.

You say in 5 or 6 years there will be a scramble to get Martha Byrne back. I agree with you but at the same time I am apprehensive too because for one I don't even know if ATWT will last that long. And 2nd I am not sure that ATWT will have the money to get her back at that point - unless ratings go up big time.

As I said before it is going to be a difficult time and this one thing alone can be what breaks or makes a soap. What is going to really figure into it is the writers also making choices in what characters are not burned out and what characters still have legitimate new stories that can be told. That is one thing that has hurt shows like Days of Our Lives who have featured some characters on the front burner for so long that they have to resort to rewriting history so often just to keep them active. And viewers get upset with that very often too.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I wish i could care more about the ratings, but i am enjoying All My Children a lot now, watching daily along with Young and Restless. I know Y&R is not going to get canceled anytime soon, AMC is another story...still, i am enjoying so much this show that i am planing to keep watching until the last day (if it gets canceled this year), i like the lesbian love story (like this one more than the ATWT gay love story by far) and i think the gal that plays Krystal is such an awesome actress.

• Members

MLK Day, President's Day, winter weather & storms, Mid-Winter & Spring Break, and March Sweeps could raise the already rising soap ratings during the three months.

The ratings will be interesting for the week of both January 5-9, 2009 and January 12-16, 2009 because weather is getting pretty bad in most of the country meaning some asses will be at home during the day. Also meaning ratings will be going up for all soaps. I think during one of the two weeks you're going to see Y&R push over 4.0 for the first time since February. B&B is getting back on track to so a 2.9 or 3.0 is possible. For ATWT and GL their ratings will go up a point each. GL is very close to reaching a 1.8 one of these days, I believe with Edmund and Phillip returning we should see a rise in their ratings in February. People can't wait for Phillip to return so a 1.8 is definitely approachable.

ABC's AMC should be able to reach a 2.3 for the first time in months, OLTL a 2.4, and GH a 2.4, but a 2.5 probably won't come until the next sweeps period in March.

The soap that has the biggest chance to rise is DAYS, call me crazy, but this show is on its way to a 2.6 before we hit April. Between DAYS and Y&R these two shows have turned it around after a bad 2007 and 2008 for both shows. This year looks bright for both shows. If DAYS can stabilize between 2.2 and 2.4 the next two weeks then we can see this show steadily rising as some of the storylines are about to breakout big time. NBC made the right decision in keeping it around and I feel like those viewers that heard about the show's future are now feeling like its safe to watch it again.

With sweeps being in March this year, the soaps will have a three month window to reach heights that have propelled the genre to faster declines in the last three years. Late March also means Spring Break so for the first time the kids will be able to see watchable storylines during Spring Break.

For those of you looking for my soap ratings analysis column, they will be coming back either for next week's ratings or the week's after for sure. I thought it would be appropriate to give you guys a little forecast on what you can expect from the soap ratings these next three months. Sorry about not having them the last couple of weeks.

• Members

It can be alot of different things because viewers viewing habits are weirder now in days. Some of it has to be the recent break or some of the storylines starting to take off. Or it can be like I said in my previous post that I feel like those viewers that heard about the show's future are now feeling like its safe to watch it again. Alot of DAYS fans tuned out after they heard the announcement back in '07 of it being potentially canceled so now that they heard its renewed maybe they will feel more comfortable watching it now.

Archived