What if Bloom offered Ellen Wheeler Y&R?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It will NEVER happen.

Legally, it's impossible. Barbara can't offer anyone anything having to do with Y&R.

CBS and Barbara Bloom have NO SAY...I repeat, NO SAY in Y&R. Sony and Bell Dramatic Serial Company are the principle owners of the show; Corday Productions owns 1% of the show.

Don't waste your time speculating. It's inflammatory and ridiculous.

• Members

How about no.........

Bloom can't hire anyone at Y&R. As we know, she suggest Latham and Sony and Bill Bell, jr. hired her. CBS doesn't own any of their soaps, so they don't have that direct power to chage management at any of those soaps.

And as Maria said in her latest interview, Y&R is "my show, and my vision." She said that though her relationship with Bloom and CBS is respectful, everything on the show is ultimately her vision.

If GL is canceled, I doubt Wheeler will be heading West...

• Members

Before I say anything, let me be clear that I do NOT like what's happened to Guiding Light at all. And I feel EW, while her heart may be in the right place and in some situations her hands were way tied, has still made many bad decisions in the EP role over there.

Having said that, I think Ellen Wheeler would be a great addition to ANY show as a director when GL goes off the air. Her work as a director on ATWT was always consistently strong, and directors on daytime don't have the power to just "move" an episode outside where they break all the laws of television cinematography. I think she's still an asset to daytime, just not in the capacity she's in now.

If GL was going to move to Peapack anyway for budgetary reasons with or without Wheeler, they should have gotten an EP who is experienced in this kind of storytelling (Daran Little, perhaps, since he wants to be in American daytime anyway?). Not somebody who has never experimented with this kind of production before.

But I do think Ellen will (and should) find work again as a contract director.

• Members

Where did any of you "get" that Bloom and Wheeler get along? Just wondering...

The only thing Bloom can do for Y&R or B&B is suggest ideas. Bloom's control over the Bell soaps is very, very limited, especially since they command the top spots in the ratings. Bloom has been able to strong arm GL because of its continued low ratings.

BTW, I haven't been thrilled with many of Ellen Wheeler's decisions with GL, but she has tried to keep GL on the air, despite Bloom's interferences. And for that, I guess I owe her a 'thank you.'

• Members

Ellen Wheeler as said is a great director and I think under the right conditions could be a good producer.

One thing that she knows how to do that producers like Ken Corday and others don't know how to do is work on a tight budget and save money. It is only through some of her efforts that money was saved and actors like Michael O'Leary were able to be put back on contract. Any other producer would not have been able to even save the money she did to hire back Grant Aleksander or bring someone like Daniel Cosgrove back.

One thing she has done is tried and I give her credit for that. She didn't give up without a fight and I feel a lot of producers would have done that faced with the obstacles that she has been faced with.

I do not want to see her handed a show outright and run it, but put her on staff and watch her. I would just really like to see what she could do - esp. if she brought some of the cast usage ideas she has incorporated onto another show. No one has ever been able to use actors only for their guarantees and such. Also she has managed to get many actors to work on recurring on the show, and she has used them - not abundantly but as best she could.

She is not perfect but I don't think she is the heart of all the problems with GL either. Much of what has happened has been the budget and things that are totally out of her hand. I think the production model was pushed on her and she has had to make it work. If the model had not been thrown on her I think the show would have been cancelled already. P&G just seems like they are using GL as a guinea pig right now.

• Members

My goodness, my heart skipped when I read this title.

I applaud the Wheeler experiment. It needed to be done, and why not with a dying show? I consider it like a Phase I Clinical Trial/Toxicity Trial. Test something with the hopeless cases.

That said, Y&R may be the one show that SHOULD NOT have such further experimentation. Y&R is the ONE show that may lend some survival to the traditional soap genre. Let us nurture it as such...not a fossil...but a full-bodied, viable survivor.

In that sense, Jeanne Cooper is an excellent metaphor for Y&R. She may be from another era, but she is still going strong. Let's not do anything to mess that up.

• Members

I'm going to say it...

Ellen Wheeler was a shitty director on ATWT. I think he episodes were choppy, they didn't flow well, and she used her same typical shots day after day. No creativity. But people said, "Hey, it's Marley! It must be good!"

She spends her whole career as an actress (off and on). She directs for a whopping three years before she gets promoted to being a producer. And then, less than five years after she even began doing behind-the-scenes work, she gets promoted to EP.

Yeah, WTF?

She's a bad director, a bad producer, has bad people skills, and she's all around been a terrible fit for GL. And judging by her recent interviews, it's obvious that Ms. El needs to take a huge chill pill and a BREAK. Seriously. Or else her eyes are going to bulge so far out and her head is going to pop off.

• Members

LMAO! Awesomeness. Yeah, acting was obviously her calling. She has not faired well behind the scenes. Once GL is done she can call herself a Freelance Soap Killer, because that is exactly what she will do if she is given the reigns of another show....

• Members

I have to agree. She was a wonderful actress but she's overrated as a director. Her work in that field has been mostly mediocre.

I'd say she's a barely passable director, a terrible producer, and has, at the very least, been very poor at communicating with the press, the viewers, and apparently many employees. At worst, she's a hack who has run the longest airing series in international TV history into the ground based on her own myopic personal whims and has butchered it to the point where it may never be respected for what it was because of how it died.

Archived