The Politics Thread

• Members

Forget about wasting taxpayers' money.  That's the least of our problems.

This man, who has Twitter tantrums every time a late-night sketch comedy series makes fun of him, is pushing us one step closer toward total annihilation by threatening a worldwide nuclear arms race.

I only pray the rest of the world's leaders will learn not to feed this Internet troll who is about to preside over us.  If they could learn just to put the U.S. on Ignore and negotiate around him (and us) until we can get rid of him, that would be great.

Edited by Khan

• Replies 41.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

The way I see it if he gets us nuked we have no more problems. If he doesn't we are going to be billions more in debt, while his defense contractor buddies rake in cash hand over fist. Meanwhile, poor kids go hungry and sick people aren't treated and the social safety net is being gutted. It's ridiculous to spend money on an arms race when we already can blow up the planet 100 times over. It's so frustrating that it's come to this.

• Members

James Dolan, a troll without Twitter, and no doubt a buddy of Trump, tried to strong-arm the Rockettes into performing but was forced to walkback (via the sham letter sent by the union that the Rockettes are members of, while the rest of Radio City, apparently has a different union with less stringent demands) the demands.

Though the Rockettes are no longer obligated to perform, of course, they will be pressured as dance jobs are difficult to come by and no one wants to be saddled with a reputation of being "difficult" to work with, especially if they are a woman.

Apparently team PEOTUS is having difficulty wrangling performers for the inauguration from hell.

Andrea Bocelli, who was rumored to be considering it, said no, Celine Dion never returned their calls, and Elton John said that while Trump always treated him kindly in the past, he totally disagrees with his politics and advised the transition team to go "f*cking ask Ted Nugent".

So far, they've got a 16 year old girl to sing the National Anthem and the Mormon Tabernacle choir.

There is currently an online petition being circulated on some parts of social media requesting that the Rockettes perform Springtime for Hitler from The Producers Musical.  Actually, when I was reading those reviews on Amazon about Ivanka's boots that song  and that image floated through my mind the entire time.

Wonder what Mel Brooks would say.

Needless to say, I won't be watching the inauguration anyway.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Oh agreed @ReddFoxx, no way would I want to perform in front of that guy and those of his ilk. It's just a shame that these women were made to feel pressure in the first place. Even though Dolan and the union have backed off publicly, I'm pretty sure these women are being obliged to perform, behind the scenes.

It's sad because, securing a decent paying job in the arts is already difficult and the field of dance is one of the toughest fields of them all. Your window is relative short for performing (although dancers can last a lot longer now with more effective training and self-care methods) and the road is tenuous and arduous.

If I wasn't sure just how much contempt the arts community truly holds for Trump, I'd have been really worried about these women being somehow ostracized.

• Members

Not exactly holiday cheer, but it's an article on the plight of people who try to come to the US from Bangladesh. 

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-fg-immigration-trek-america-bangladesh/

This man and many others did come here illegally, so I understand the deportation, but so much else - the way he was treated - is just a classic example of how inhumane so many parts of our current system is. 

• Members

I think undocumented immigrants have unrealistic hopes sometimes, but don't we all?  A year of his life spent in detention and then back to pay the debt of a lifetime.  All after that insane trek through jungles and hostile territory. That's a hell of a price to pay.  I hope word spreads that coming her illegally under Trump is a bad idea. I'm legitimately worried about how people are treated with him in charge, not that they got the red carpet this time around either, but it can get worse.

• Members

^ I think that's a stretch. It sounds to me like they are still talking about Jesus. Every year his birth (when he became the new King or King of Kings) is celebrated. Otherwise the implication is we had an old King and I'm pretty sure no one in the Republican party saw President Obama as a King. Nor do I think many people in the Republican establishment think of Trump as a King or even like him all that much.