Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Walker's calls for constitutional amendments is harmless singing to the choir. He must know that changing the constitution is almost impossible so therefore he might as well demand it all he can. I feel sorry for these republican candidates because time is passing them by and they don't know what to do about. Apparently polls show 60% approval for gay marriage by the american public, but that isn't who will vote in their primaries. Then there is a distinct change in views among people under 40 and over 40, but the over 40s tend to die at a faster rate than the under 40s. There primaries are held hostage by fundie zealots that are completely out of step with everyone else, and now you have Jeb Bush forced to say he doesn't think Jim Baker knows what he is talking about with foreign policy because as conservative as Baker is, he still isn't conservative enough for the republicans of 2015. Reagan would probably have been called a liberal and weak for willing to deal with democrats.

All along I have thought Chris Christie could not win because he is obese and belligerent. Nothing has changed in that regard. The only shot the republicans have is Jeb Bush, but I don't see how he can win as long as he is unwilling to say W was a disaster. He is unable to reject the Iraq war and people are not going to be so quick to want another Bush starting another war because he was listening to neo-cons. Plus, he has some positions not in line with republican zealotry.

While the country is resistant to older women, I don't think it will pass up the opportunity to follow up a black president and gay marriage with a woman president. The conservatives are losing the culture wars badly, and all the shouting white men in the world won't change that. They're so out of the mainstream that even the pope is too liberal for them. Of course he doesn't know who any of them are and doesn't care, but they have boxed themselves into a corner where now they tell themselves that it is they--not the pope--who is defending religion and morality.

• Members

and Donald Trump is trying to take several pages out of the Huckabee handbook. He knows he doesn't have a shot at being President but that is beside the point. Like Huckabee, he will seek to fatten his coffers by building a 'base' in hopes of getting lucrative speaking engagements and a pundit's chair where he can spout nonsense and have an audience actually listen.

I'd wager that very few of the Republican candidates right now believe they have a real shot at the Presidency, and they plan to follow the Palin or Huckabee route to financial enrichment.

• Members

I agree but I think his wealth is greatly overestimated. The man has declared bankruptcy four times.

I love seeing the Latino community's response to his hateful comments about Mexicans. I hope it leads to record turnout at the polls.

Edited by marceline

• Members

I read somewhere that his wealth is most likely in the hundreds of millions, not billions.

It's going to be fun to guess how much farther his personal wealth drops.

Carlos Slim, an actual billionaire (who once topped the world's wealthiest a few years ago), who also happens to be Mexican dumped Trump on a very lucrative deal they were supposed working together on.

Cumulatively, this is going to bite the Donald in the pocketbook.

America Ferrera's open letter was great. No doubt the maker of those Donald Trump piñatas has to be a big winner right now.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

That tone-deaf, shouty anti-gay screed Gov. Googly-Eyes made after the SCOTUS marriage decision must have spooked many (I read that he lost a major donor over it) - the Beltway, which has adored him for years, ran damage control this puff piece on his wife, trotting out the old Barbara Bush/Laura Bush talking points about how they don't agree with their husband's views and are therefore an (imaginary) moderating influence.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/scott-walkers-wife-toughened-by-life-adds-steel-to-the-gop-candidates-spine/2015/07/05/61337f5d-2513-4698-8f27-647e28b3c8cc_story.html?tid=pm_politics_pop_b

Edited by DRW50

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Gov Googly Eyes continues to race to the right, as the media does backflips to still try to show us how mainstream he is.

Here he is saying the minimum wage is "lame":

http://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/walker-dismisses-minimum-wage-lame

And here he is supporting a policy that cast gay men as sexual predators going after kids:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2015/07/14/scott-walker-boy-scouts-ban-on-gay-leaders-protected-children/