Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Is anyone else getting tired of this he said/she said bullshit between The White House and Captial Hill? It's exhausting.

My neighbors, with whom my partner and I have lived next to for 10 years, are die hard republicans. The entire time gay marriage was illegal in Florida, they empathized with us (outwardly), but come Election Day, checked every box that had an "R" beside it. Am I right to consider that a betrayal? My hubby says no. But it bothers me. It's starting to make me look at them differently.

• Members

I don't know. So many people seem to vote their pocketbooks over their social conscience. Gay marriage is one issue, what if they agreed with the Republicans on everything except that one thing? I'm strongly pro choice, but what if your neighbors well and truly believe that an embryo is a baby? Then voting for the Republicans might have to do with that and nothing to do with gay marriage or their empathy for you.

I have a friend (really more of a close social acquaintance) who is definitely for gay marriage. He has a gay son. However, he is really never going to vote for a democrat. Not sure I've ever met anyone who more strongly believes that we are all rugged individualists making our way in this world and that taxes are "stealing" from our neighbor to give money to someone else. He's not an idiot either, which is how I normally comfort myself when I have to deal with someone like this.

• Members

Hey Suds, they appeared to have genuinely supported the idea of gay marriage. I believe that me and my bf have made a difference on our lil street. I've heard many times "you're not at all what I thought you'd be like" and we're so "conservative" (NOT). I think they expected 2 gay guys to out partyin all the time and dressing like girls, or acting like girls. Sigh. So I'm not sure if they're two faced on gay marriage. I believe they support it, just not on the ballot!

That's exactly my thoughts, marce.

Good points, Julia. They are most definitely "pro life" (God, I hate that term. Like pro choice supporters are anti-life?). Anyway, they are fiscally conservative as well. BUT, they are middle class folks. The right aren't going to do anything for them. And sadly, they watch Fox and take everything broadcast on that channel as gospel.

I still can't help but feel betrayed. In my mind, equality trumps whatever small financial gain you THINK might gain by voting for republicans.