The Politics Thread

• Members

I've seen it, but one thing that British politicians are able to do is to mouth off but still do it in an erudite way - they cut deep with style (I've also seen some Australian politicians do this). We wouldn't get that here. We'd mostly get idiots like Darrell Issa yelling that he's going to subpoena your ass.

• Replies 42k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

LOL!

I did read about this yesterday evening, and quite a few pundits have weighed in saying that it will get thrown out the minute the paperwork is filed because of the fact that the city of Paris is not a public figure. Which immediately made me think of...

Hobby Lobby. A corporation that won it's position on birth control.

If Hobby Lobby can be imbibed with "beliefs" from the court, then I support the notion that Paris is indeed a public figure. One is one separate from the other, IMO.

• Members

Exactly. Since when does being smart and articulate mean you aren't approachable? If we're going to do big things, you need to bring the best minds to the table. I don't think that advanced degrees necessarily make you a better person but we've turned into a country that dismisses education when before the chance to pursue an education was considered a de facto part of the American Dream.

(As an aside, I actually *did* get to have a beer with my senator last year. We talked about our vegetable gardens. It was cool. biggrin.png )

• Members

it was very moving IMO....kinda surprised Obama addressed all the pessimists (like myself) and the media. He definitely gave me some hope that he's not out of this yet.

And he definitely laid out a strong agenda and a sound case for what he wants to do. I loved the way he ended it by relating America as a family...we may have disagreements but at the end of the day we need to come together and we'll get through the difficult times....

• Members

So in one week we've had two GOP presidential hopefuls come out as anti vaxxers and Thom Tillis has come out as anti-handwashing. That's right. Anti. Handwashing. For restaurant workers. It's like these people are trying to take us back to the middle ages.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/thom-tillis-washing-hands-toilet

Edited by marceline

• Members

That [!@#$%^&*] is scary.

I can't help but wonder if they are taking these idiotic positions simply because the president supports vaccinations? What the f.uck do they gain? Are the majority of anti-vaxxers republicans?

I just don't understand why the issue has been politicized. Rand Paul is a doctor, for christ sake. smh.

Tillis needs to shut his pie hole. Actually, I want him to eat a pizza made by a restaurant worker after they have dropped a deuce and didn't bother to wash up. Idiot.

Edited by GMac

• Members

It's politicized because Rand Paul is a lunatic and Chris Christie is a pathetic opportunist and saw this as a way of showing he's "small government." It's telling that even the most far right purists, like Ben Carson, are saying kids need to get vaccinated.

The media would kill a kitten for Rand, so I doubt this makes their love of him any different, but if people don't laugh him out of office after this, then they're just dumb.

Thom Tillis is another idiot, one who barely won his seat last year in spite of a terrific GOP year and tons of money. North Carolina used to be a beautiful state but people like him, who put uber-conservative extremism and big business pandering over all else, have utterly destroyed it. What a joke that some on the far right is now taking umbrage to washing your hands after you take a [!@#$%^&*]. I guess they're so full of [!@#$%^&*] they don't see it as a big deal.

• Members

What I want to know is when did anti-vaxxers become a valuable political group? Most anti-vaxxers are liberals (to my everlasting shame). There's a lot of libertarians mixed in there of course but I never would've imagined that the anti-vax group vote would be large enough to make candidates take such stupid positions.