The Politics Thread

• Members

Most of the people who say that aren't actually going to do anything. These are people who post guillotine gifs and then go back to the townhouses their rich parents own. It's a very tantalizing fantasy on the far left that a revolution will rise because both sides bad (but of course Democrats are always worse in this argument, those "neolibs" and their "late stage capitalism"), but that revolution will only ever be from anyone but them. Their idea of revolution is arguing online about how in their hypothetical paradise, no one will get bananas because they are part of the oppression.

That's why they were so happy when that man set himself on fire earlier this year - they could live (or die) through him). 

I don't have any real hope that it will. As said above, many white voters don't care - either they don't hear about this or they don't know what it means until it's too late. The press doesn't care either because they are personally fond of Trump and they miss him and the money he put in their pockets. They have spent most of today still focused on the debate, Biden's age, going on about how Biden must leave office, and playing tedious "toldja so" games acting like they alone were martyrs who spoke about his age when no one else would. 

I did hear that there was talk at the BET about Trump's "black jobs" comments. I hope that resonates, although it's not especially fair to put this election on their shoulders when so many other voters are falling down on the job. 

If Trump and his people grow more and more confident that they will win big then I could see him ramping up the racism even more than he has already. 

If he does pick Vance or Burgum as his VP then you know the mask is fully off.

• Replies 42.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Has it ever been on? I'm serious. He not only has been a loud and proud racist, misogynist and antisemite from the start, he's emboldened a lot of other people to show their true faces. Even if he wasn't going to try to overthrow democracy, four more years of his poison will be so damaging to our nation. It will take decades to recover if we ever do.

• Members

In terms that we would use, no. In terms of trying to hoodwink the lazy and desperate media, to a certain point. There have been buzzwords about opening voting centers in their campaign for black voters, Hispanic, Asian-American voters, etc. (they've actually been shutting them down or not funding them), the whole charade with Byron Donalds going to barber shops, and all the claims that black voters will flock to him if he picks Donalds or Tim Scott/Hispanic voters if he picks Rubio.

• Members

At least it did happen earlier than most debate flameouts, and even at what the media is proclaiming a hugely successful week for Trump on multiple fronts, I am not sure if he has had any big jump (some of his sycophants are touting him being behind by 2 points in a New Mexico Republican poll - wowie zowie). 

The worst part is it allows the media to further hyper fixate on the palace intrigue and Dems in disarray topics they love to turn to, and this will continue on and on, especially with jackasses like Sheldon Whitehouse fanning the flames for publicity.

• Members

I agree.

I just don't believe there's another candidate on the left who has what it takes to beat Trump in November; and for me, that - beating Trump - is the point.  Especially after yesterday's SCOTUS ruling.

Frankly, we can worry about Biden's cognitive skills later.

Meanwhile, I don't know where else to put this, so I'm putting it here.

Oklahoma State Superintendent Ryan Walters issued a memorandum that, "effective immediately," all public school teachers in OK will be required to teach the Bible and Ten Commandments to their students:

https://www.koco.com/article/ryan-walters-bible-taught-oklahoma-schools/61442153

Moreover, Walters has vowed sanctions against teachers who refuse to comply, up to and including revocation of their teaching licenses:

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/oklahoma-schools-bible-ryan-walters-teachers-license-rcna159548

And in an interview with "PBS NewsHour," Walters defended his action, saying:

"[W]e will be offering additional guidance to districts that they will have to comply with, which is to ensure the teaching of our standards and the role the Bible played in American history, dating back pre-Constitution, whether it's Mayflower Compact, the pilgrims, all the way up through Martin Luther King Jr. and civil rights movement, where he repeatedly quotes the Bible as a directive for what he's trying to do there."

Nice try, Superintendent Walters, but I think we all know why you're REALLY handing down this mandate.  (Apparently, white folks believe that if they invoke Dr. King's memory, the rest of us will go along with whatever bullshit ideas they want to force on everyone).

At a time when our state is struggling to recruit and to keep educators, this nonsense was the last thing we needed.

My hope, of course, is that the ACLU is filing suit against Walters and the Oklahoma State Department of Education (OSDE) as we speak.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I mean, at this point, Biden has the ability, authority, and immunity to hold onto power in November, even if he loses, correct? He has immunity to wipe out his political opponent, all Trump appointed judges, hell even all Republican members of congress... all in the name of protecting the good ol' US of A. They're ALL a threat to democracy. 

Side note:  What's the best city in Canada to live in? At this point, I am preparing for the worst which means having an escape plan I can put into place before January 20th.  

• Members

He does, but just because SCOTUS has given him and everyone who follows him license to behave like a tyrant, that doesn't mean he should.

The ability of our leaders to restrain themselves in that matter, after all, is what separates us from the savages (...and from Paul Rauch).

• Members

If Superintendent Walters had ever paid attention in one of those American history classes that he claims teachers are leaving the Bible out of, he'd know, for instance, that the only reason why the Puritans immigrated to America was because Holland had had enough (and I'm sorry, but you know you're trash when the Dutch tell you to GTFO, lol).

But that's really the history of white people, isn't it?  They've never had a place to call their own like all other peoples in this world do.  Instead, they've traveled from land to land, imposing themselves and their bigoted, narrow-minded practices upon those who were there already, marginalizing and subjugating them through violence and intimidation, until their oppressed find the will to fight back.

So, what's really going on right now in this country is existential for white people.  They know this is their last shot at dominance, and they know that the numbers (meaning, the expected percentages of POC in this country in years to come) are not on their side.

Edited by Khan

• Members

I have reached the 'media is overplaying its hand too early' stage yet again with our Current Miseries re: Diamond Joe.

It's too early, there is a lot of road left this election and they absolutely cannot shut up. They're burning the Old Joe topic out. Meanwhile Biden just booked a sit down interview with George Stephanopoulos and will surely be doing a lot more to prove he is not a dribbling invalid ready for Shady Pines. So I think in a month or two this will be burnt. Or at least I hope so. YMMV.