Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Yikes stay safe. That's a long time without power. Hope u have all u need in the meantime.  I read about that nursing home tragedy and it made me wonder if that was a power outage issue, until I read there is a hospital those folks could have easily gone to right across the street. Tragic

And yesterday the senate voted to continue to give th executive branch the powers granted to Bush 43 after 9/11. I don't agree with Rand Paul on much but all he was asking for was a debate on the issue and it was shut down. 

Congress should be the body making war decisions including what is considered military action. Yes WW2 and 9/11 granted the exec branch expanded powers but that was rescinded after the war. Now with an unstable dementia ridden president why would they not even consider a debate. Because they trust the generals? As long as the impact of our militarization is pushed to the side, we illl continue to turn our heads away from the US's not so hidden desire for imperialism, ironically something Churchill was criticized for by Roosevelt. But of gravest concern is giving this president surrounded by some very questionable staff this kind of latitude.

• Members

It's horrible about that nursing home.  There's obviously some level of either incompetence (aligning resources after the storm) or negligence there.  

We're contemplating going upstate to our new place that we've been renovating (slowly) because our RV is there, with a generator and (most) comforts of home.  At least for the next couple of days.  The only question mark there is if the roads are clear because its a pretty rural area.  We've already lost most everything in the fridge but have plenty of water and vino 

Please register in order to view this content

• Members

A day or two ago I saw that experts noticed activity at their nuclear test site which made them think they were taking stuff to have tests in another area. 

And South Korea is asking for more weapons, and our president wants more nukes...

It's terrifying.

• Members

I saw the headline about the activity at the known test site but some days I honestly get so weary, I don't bother reading the entire article. It's not often but lately it's been happening more and more.

A 21st century nuclear arms race...is all we need right now.

Please register in order to view this content

If there was a sigh emoticon, I would've used that.

Hey @GMac I hope you get your power back on soon.

Edited by DramatistDreamer

• Members

Apparently this is the 15th time they've launched a missile...THIS YEAR!  That is more than any other time.

I believe this, without a doubt.  I was just talking to someone last week and we were discussing that between 1996-2000 was the last time the U.S. was anywhere close to full employment and the last time that many of us felt that our economic mobility was truly rising because greater job mobility always appeared within reach.  The end of the Clinton years was when some of us just got out into the workforce, getting our first 'real' jobs. We hoped it would always be this way, then the recession hit in '01.

Since the smaller recession of 2001 (made worse by 9/11 for those of us who lived in NYC at the time) and then the larger recession in 2007 (which many felt years prior), the economy has never gotten back to those pre-2001 levels.  2009-2016 were spent clawing out of the deep economic hole of the recession and growth has been anemic ever since. Also, the 'gig economy' has taken root and so many have had to resort to freelance work (myself included).

As for AA, it's like that old saying "When white America catches a cold, black America catches pneumonia".  To most Blacks living and working in America, this report will come as no surprise, we've been feeling it all along.

Edited by DramatistDreamer