Top Posters In This Topic

• Vee

• DRW50

• DramatistDreamer

• Khan

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

I may be delusional, but I've believed since Wednesday they have the votes this time. Mitch is looking to save his legacy and the party's image, and he can't do that without slitting Trump's throat. They can wrangle the base later. The media - all of it, except Fox, all of whom were also personally put at risk - is demanding Trump's removal. The GOP rank and file were endangered physically for the first time and much of the Senate is enraged. We'll see what happens.

This is a complete puff/rehab piece on Alyssa Farah who is a bullshitting Nazi, but I am posting it simply for history and for some indication on the changes inside the WH in the last weeks:

• Members

Ben Sasse will "definitely consider it." That's the same profile in courage I associate from the man who laughed at Bill Maher's racial slur. 

I had said before that Pelosi pushing impeachment would be dismissed as performative. I still think that's true, but I also think she is making the right decision (if we get that far). I really want to see some of the little worms who were endlessly passed of as moderates or future faces of the GOP continue to squirm. 

I hate the Cheneys, but they do tend to have political survival instincts (aside from the time Liz decided to sacrifice her sister to jump ahead of the line in Wyoming - a disaster all around).

Edited by DRW50

• Members

Every single media outlet except Fox has spent the last 48 hours all but demanding impeachment or 25th Amendment and removal. This hit them where they live, which is important for perception. I watched Wolf Blitzer, of all people, try to buttonhole Colin Powell into admitting impeachment was necessary. So no, it's not going to be dismissed. And I think that is Sasse signaling he'll do whatever Mitch wants.

I also don't know how people think the GOP easily hold onto the MAGA base without Trump unless they do something drastic. Look at Georgia. This isn't like before; a good bulk of their base have broken with the mainstream party heads, wish death on them for disloyalty and are all in on Trump. They were coming for everyone two days ago, not just Dems. It is going to take a considerable amount of time for them to corral these people and hope for the best in 2022. Just doing nothing won't solve the problem. There have got to be a lot of old money donors and kingmakers inside saying, the only way to get the red base back in line is to cut Trump out of the body and then spend the next two years pumping the propaganda, retraining them, trying to unperson him like they did George W. Bush and pretending he wasn't their king. It will be tough but that is IMO their only shot not to keep bleeding for years to come. Which is not what I want, but it is a calculation someone is almost certainly making.

Edited by Vee

• Members

As an outsider, without real knowledge on politics in the US, I think that Nancy Pelosi is doing exactly what needs to be done. It really doesn't matter if an impeachment is successful or not, she has to do this. It would set a very dangerous precedent if they didn't demonstrate in every way that what happened is completely unacceptable and that they will do everything they can to make sure that the guilty ones will suffer the consequences. It doesn't matter that Trump "only" has two weeks left.