OLTL: A Different View on Marty/Todd

• Members

I know the following is going to be pretty much unpopular here, but I felt the need to defend the current controversy on ONE LIFE...

Let me first state that I detest violence against women. The sight of it makes my skin crawl. In fact, I tuned out of GENERAL HOSPITAL for good after witnessing the disgustingly explicit beating and rape of Emily Quartermaine by Connor the Nikolas-lookalike.

Let me also state that I did not view the episode of ONE LIFE in which Todd and Marty 'made love'. I had all but decided to write the show off because of the storyline. However, I happened to tune in last Thursday as the confrontation between Marty, John, and Todd reached a fevered pitch. I was hooked on every scene of the episode and eagerly tuned in on Friday. IMO the Friday episode of ONE LIFE was arguably one of the best of the show in years.

You see, I have read the various viewpoints in the mags and online, and I have discussed the plot with friends and family. I believe one reason that the storyline has generated such intense backlash is due in large part not to the actual writing and/or production, but instead is because of the inappropriate manner in which ABC had gone about promoting it.

The promos, in an obvious attempt to whip up emotions, sensationally screamed "The story you never thought you'd see!" as scenes of Marty and Todd kissing and getting romantic. To those watching the commercials and buildup to the climax, it seemed as if ONE LIFE was going too far in a shameless attempt to create buzz and generate ratings. Honestly, that was the only misstep in this controversy.

IMO, ONE LIFE has delivered dramatic gold with the disturbing storyline for several reasons. First, the tale is without a doubt riveting on a daily basis, the kind of intense drama on a day-to-day basis that soaps used to so well.

Second, the story is firmly grounded in the show's history, and the tale's progression is character-based. I had initially feared that somehow this plot was going to redeem Todd, that in a sick twist Marty would end up truly in love with the man who had so viciously violated her, that this would once again be a case of daytime turning rape into romance.

Instead of that horrific outcome, the outstanding writing once and for all exposed Todd Manning for the vile son-of-a-bitch that he truly has always been.

Make no mistake about it---the entire storyline has been difficult and disturbing to watch no doubt. But what this story has re-enforced in my mind is the true gift that is the daytime soap opera. Contrary to popular belief, soaps are not just supposed to be all about love, romance, and escapism. Thanks to their continuing format and long-running characters with complex and complicated histories, motivations, and desires, soap opera is perhaps the art form best able to present and document the human condition. Let us remember that some of the best, most-remembered, and unforgettable storylines, particularly on ONE LIFE, throughout the years have focused on the inner struggles of the people of Llanview…their valiant struggles to live their one life. If anything, the Marty/Todd saga has only helped to bring the show closer to the original theme of the program that was laid out so brilliantly in 1968 by Agnes Nixon. And finally, the underlying themes of hope and happiness conquering over darkness and despair was reaffirmed (for me at least) in the last scene of Friday's show when Marty came face-to-face with Cole in the hospital...

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

I have the same viewpoint as you.

The climax of this story has been brilliant and we've already gotten 8 straight episodes of pure drama and I am positive there will be a lot more drama to come. The next chapter is just beginning. It's a longterm story which is something missing on soaps. Soaps don't tell long stories anymore which is a shame.

• Members

So....you started watching last week?

No, sorry, opinion not valid. I like you but that makes no sense. I wanted to believe in RC's work throughout this storyline, and I am appreciating the scenes in the last two weeks, but before that this story went to some incredibly unnecessary places, and several characters and their relationships are irrevocably compromised. It was downright exploitative at times; no matter how good the material is now, what they did was beneath the cast, beneath the writers and beneath OLTL.

• Members

No, I did not start watching last week...I started watching around 1983. However, I haven't been a faithful daily viewer since the unfortunate Back to the Future storyline ran so far off track...instead I would catch the show perhaps once or twice a week or parts of the SOAPNET marathon. What I didn't see, as I stated before, was the much-talked about scenes of Marty and Todd having sex. While I respect your opinion, I think it is rather rude for you to state that my opinion is 'not valid'. You may disagree with it, but don't simply dismiss it because we have come to different conclusions.

• Members

Ditto. I love controversial storylines like this. When telling a story, boundaries should be non-existent. This story intrigued me from the beginning and yes I have watched Marty's gang-rape. I know all about OLTL history. Yes the story bothered me, disturbed me, but that si what it was supposed to do. The climax has been incredibly entertaining and I hope Trevor and especially Susan get nominated for an Emmy, not that that means anything, LOL

• Members

I've really tried to stop weighing in on your posts because they are so combative. My way or the highway kind of stuff. But as much as I admire your considered opinion about the stories, I detest your moral supremacy. It's not that serious. There are some less than admirable people who hate this story for all the same reason (and they are very reasonable) that you do, and some good people who are enjoying the story for reasons you may not understand or that you may not value enough to justify their point of view. But it's neither right nor wrong to enjoy this story for whatever entertainment value it provides. Just MY HUMBLE OPINION.

• Members

Sedrick. You don't have to justify your opinion to anyone. It doesn't matter if you watched 20 years ago. I don't like the story purely because it seems centered around characters I don't care about. When it draws in characters that matter to me I might have a stronger opinion about it. In the meantime, I am fascinated by the cloth that RC is weaving and wondering where it will go.

• Members

aint that the truth! lol.

Rhino, great posts above.

Sedrick, i have watched this story off and on over the past few months and both loved and hated it. I actually hate the outsome to come from it because none of it seems like its going to actually matter. But maybe im wrong, i will def be watching to see what happens next...

• Members

LOL! It's a tough job, but I love it.

You kind of back me up a bit, just because I know how you think about things and that scares me. Because if you think none of this will actually matter in the end, I find that disturbing. I hope you're wrong but I won't commit to the opposition until more "facts" are in. Until then. I maintain it WILL matter, just very likely in ways we never dreamed of.

• Members

i just forsee a storyline where marty is actually feeling feelings for todd ebcause of the time they sepnt togetehr battling that then ending up back with john and todd will be a social outcast again until blair decides to take him back and it will all be so blahh in the end.

i hope i am wrong, i do...

• Members

I have been a huge critic of this story all along. I tuned in some along the way - not much - but I kept up with it through Hirsch recaps and so.

But I have been watching ever since last week and the drama that has been happening is some of the best I have seen in years. I agree with everything that Sedrick said here.

AMC and OLTL and Y&R have been putting out some very good daytime soap opera for the last few weeks. Now if the rest could just catch up.

The story is controversial but the acting and all is great. And it has caused people to talk and daytime doesnt' do that alot anymore.

• Members

Sedrick, I was going to post somethng very similar to Steve above. I am not a regular OLTL viewer, but I have always followed Todd and Marty. I saw the original rape...rewatched it on Youtube...etc.

My feeling is that it is okay for soaps to do stories like this, as long as they play the genuine emotional fallout. OLTL seems to be doing this.

You know, I've seen other rape stories horribly mis-handled. On Y&R, Paul Williams did a marital rape of ex-wife Christine...but after setting up a big question ("was it rape"?), the story fizzled and was never addressed again. On B&B, Brooke Logan experienced a brutal rape...and that story was forgotten within weeks. Her rapist went psycho, died a freakish accidental death...

The Todd and Marty original rape had consequences for YEARS. One might say Todd NEVER really got past it. The fact that Todd was "raped" himself was another piece of fallout a few years ago. In the current tale, the viewers have been able to see Todd's twisted logic.

We get so used to soaps catering to fan bases and the like, that when they do something like this, we're now shocked. From what I can tell, OLTL is again going to tell a responsible fallout story...and in the process, they have broadened the definition of "rape" and "non-consensual sex". Ultimately, we are all educated by this tale.

The tale has also been buoyed by first rate performances.

Archived