AMC: Opinions of Brot/Martinez

• Members

I was wondering what everybody thinks of the character of Brot and/or his portrayer.

We've seen a lot of newbies come and go but none with the unique history and situation of the actor portraying Brot. For those unfamiliar, here's some background courtesy of SOC:

My opinion: Martinez is rough and untrained but I see REAL talent there and anybody willing to expose themselves the way he has deserves respect. I admit that I question the wisdom of writing the role of Brot to emulate Martinez's real experience. Perhaps I'm projecting but I feel like some things are...sacred and shouldn't be used for drama. At least not this particular way. But if he's willing to put himself out there I feel like I owe it to the actor to watch. After all how many of us have felt like we could do a scene better than some of the actors?

I've found myself uncomfortable watching some of his scenes mainly because I hate the concept of sandwiching something so real and important in between the Sextet, DuhManda and Coma Zendall. But when he's is onscreen, I can't look away and that's more than I can say for many "professionals."

Just get him away from Colby.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think he's doing pretty well considering he's not a professional actor. I'm also drawn to watching him whenever he's onscreen. I agree that they get him far away from Colby soon and so he can mingle with the real actors who can hopefully give him some tips behind the scenes.

I love the concept of bringing on a real vet and addressing his issues. I hope the show keeps him around long term.

• Members

Considering he doesn't have any training in the field he is doing remarkably well. The fact that he is real kind of supercedes an acting critique for me. It really adds something to the show and the particular storyline. And yeah I kind of don't get the Colby/Brot angle they got going on here. Oh well, something for her to do I guess. I don't think Brianne is as terrible as some people make her out to be, she just is bland and doesn't make me feel anything for the role one way or another, similar to Amanda Baker's Babe.

• Members

I was pleasantly surprised. I agree he has some natural talent there and could easily grow--I expected much worse. My problem is, as others have said, lately all his work has been in two handers with Colby, probably the worse actor/actress currently on the show. You just really should be careful not to leave two "newbies" like this flailing in serious two hander scenes--when he worked with Tad he was MUCH better for instance... It's not even about them offering tips it's just a talented actor can open up a less expereinced actor during the scene in ways Colby's actress just can't

• Members

This may be a (bad) generalization..... but I was in the Army back in my day, and Brot is such a military name. You won't believe some of the names of some of my old buddies - Brot fits so well with that 'type'.

I think he's just fine - especially for not being an actor - very impressed.

• Members

He can't go lurking around hospital corridors much longer. I mean, I'll take a day or two of that, but it's cliche to begin with.

I think that if Brot doesn't have some scenes where we at least well up let alone dissolve into tears, the writers and the directors (and maybe, just maybe the actor) haven't done their jobs. I say this because this admirable man is sitting on a well of raw emotion and life experience that most "real" actors could only dream of. I look forward to the opportunity to hear his story/struggle/pain. It's a very rare opportunity in daytime. If the writers deliver and the directors (and even a good acting coach) take their time with him, and he allows himself to go there and be vulnerable, well... he should turn out some riveting performances.

Archived