Linda Dano on JFP

• Members

On JFP:

"Oh I love her. I love her. Yeah she's a good friend of mine. She's the best producer I ever worked for. She's incredibly brilliant, she can set a scene, create a mood like no other producer I ever worked for, she has a real feel for connecting certain characters that work. She's just gifted, she's always been gifted and it was a great honor to work for her and I speak to her often, even now that I'm not doing daytime because she and I became fast fast friends...you can see it (when she takes over a show)...can't you feel it oh absolutely. She's the only producer I ever knew that could make something out of nothing and I really mean that, she's brilliant, she's really brilliant. GH is really lucky to have her!"

Source: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/stardish/2008...stardish-radio-

She also noted that she, Julia Barr, David Canary and Jill Larson are doing a webisode of a soap that they're working on...

I think it's evident that although she's at GH, I don't think she's behind the wheel like she was in her hey day!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

JFP has her friends and she treats them very well, that's a known fact. It's the people who she doesn't take a liking to that suffer and feud with her.

That said, Linda is absolutely right that JFP can make "something out of nothing." She totally revamped AW's entire production when she got there. That show was horribly produced for years, and it wasn't until P&G sent JFP from GL to AW did AW start looking updated and modern. Harding Lemay particularly praised her for the work she did with the Sharlene, John, and Felicia storyline. He said she got some great work out of the actors and she's the only producer he's worked with that can pick apart a breakdown that made him think to himself, "She has a point and knows what she's doing."

Again, when the writing is great, JFP can produce fantastic material. Her years at SB and first 3 years at GL are a true testament to this.

• Members

Of course Linda Dano loves her, and of course they are friends. JFP helped Linda Dano get that horrible "cross-network" contract along with Robin Christopher, in which the two of them roamed across ABC Daytime in search of a storyline for them that people might give a singular f u c k about. I think RC is very talented and I had never hated Skye before then, but I grew to hate her during that period and I never forgave her for being forcefully insinuated upon GH. It was one of the few things Bob Guza and I clearly agreed upon.

Also, Linda looks quite a bit like JFP, who likes to either find female characters who resemble her, or re-model some to look like her (both Nora and Tea Delgado got uber-short JFP-style haircuts on her OLTL), and then pair them with the male FOJs whose "work she admires." (Nora was paired with JFP's boy Kale Browne, while both Tea and Dano's Rae were with AW FOJ John Bolger)

• Members

Plus Jill took Viki and Dorian's furs away. :(

The whole JFP subject is a tough one. It's like when an acquaintance is a real ass to one of your best buds and you have to do the whole, "Well, he/she's always been nice to me..." Do you stand by your friend out of loyalty or do you give a person who you seem to jive with the benefit of the doubt? I can't say that I condemn the FOJ, it's an all too real situation to be in.

• Members

JFP = an enigma wrapped in a riddle wrapped in a mystery.

If I was overseeing a soap, on the one hand I would love her to oversee it because she could probably craft a great soap (I'm convinced that the improvement in GH during the writers' strike was down to her). On the other, I would be worried that after the highs, her method of working would hasten steady declines. Let's kill somebody to get the ratings up! That kind of gimmick.

• Members

Jill Phelps nearly destroyed One Life to Live, ham-handedly shoving all those Rapaports down our throats, recasting a great Kevin with the wooden Tim Gibbs, and writing out Cassie Callison. Guza gets the lion's share of blame for GH, but he couldn't do it without Jill. Also, didn't the Labines exit OLTL at about the same time Jill started?

Archived