Dark Shadows

• Members

I've been reading some things that makes me think the Depp DS movie is going to be a "comedy." The most recent comes from some people who have allegedly seen some sneak peak trailers. Guess I should have known it would turn out this way considering the parties involved but it's still disappointing. Here are some of the comments:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00048044.html

• Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

I mention that in the music and movies thread. The lack of reality bewilders me. People are going to be surprised it's a comedy? What else do Burton and his muggers do? EVERYTHING is a bad joke. Oh look, Johnny Depp is pulling silly faces again!

It just spits on the source material of anything they touch. What a horrible way to remember a great show, and a show that, for all its flaws, was taken very seriously by the actors. Not treated as a guffawfest, the way Depp, Helena Botham Carter, and the others treat it.

I find it hard to believe Depp or Burton ever watched the show at all.

• Members

I knew it would be downhill after Burton became involved but I had a glimmer of hope that it wouldn't be completely dreadful after Depp's reassurances that he had been a fan of the show. I can't fathom who the target audience for this is. Certainly can't be the fans of the series. And you're right, the actors in the series always played it straight, no matter the material. That's what made it work, I believe. I know I was one of those kids who ran home from school to watch it every day.

• Members

Ugh I expected an element of forced camp (ie unlike the true--in other words unintended--camp which was part of the appeal of the original), and to be disappointed, but this stykle of humour sounds AWFUL, even less than I expected. It sounds like the trailer makes it all about an old vampire coming to in the 70s making jokes about how he doesn't understand the real world. A vampire version of some crap like Encino Man. Sigh

• Members

Austin Powers for Vampires. Sad because this had potential to be like a new Twilight franchise. The stories on DS each lend themselves well to their own movie. Such a shame. Would've been in better hands with a new team instead of Burton/Depp who have such a specific point of view.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

What would we do without Barnabas. Love or hate him, and Frid certainly had mixed feelings on the role, Barnabas became a huge icon, saving one of the best TV shows of all time from cancelation, and helping it to become immortal. I will never forget so many great moments between Barnabas and Julia, Barnabas and Willie, Barnabas and Angelique. I also enjoyed Bramwell/Catherine.

I'm glad he got that final recognition of the movie.