Dark Shadows

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 702
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members

Watching the series on Netflix and I really enjoy. The plot is very tight and the writers forget nothing and I love that. I am so glued. Julia Hoffman is in town and controlling Barnabas. I love how she talks. I wonder though, Does anyone know why the series keep going back from black and white episodes to color. It keeps going back and forth.

It was very good. Its on netflix and me and my honey will be wacthing it soon just as soon as we are done with the orginal version.

• Members

I missed this. I don't like the summary of 1752. Why not have Barnabas go on a rampage, then be imprisoned in the tomb? Makes no sense to turn him into a vampire and then bury him. He doesn't get to experience the terror of that story. I also wish they'd held off on details because for a second film they could've used that as a storyline. The original series is perfectly set up for a series of movies. You have 1752, then 1897, the variou stories with Quintin, etc.

• Members

The comic book version of Dark Shadows is being produced by Dynamite Comics who has a TON of official licenses for comics (Green Hornet, Bionic Man & Bionic Woman, Lone Ranger, etc.) and is only up to issue #2. I don't particular care for the art style, myself (it's a bit too "scratchy/sketchy" for my tastes), but the characters look DEAD ON the actors. You can instantly tell who's who. The series is written by Stuart Manning who actually RUNS collinwood.net with art by Aaron Campbell. Personally, I'm all about the Francesco Francavilla variant covers because they look so awesomely retro.

2066595-darkshadows01_cov_francavilla_super.jpeg2131475-prv10840_cov_super.jpg

• Members

It's nice to see the comics are back, and hopefully truer to the show than Burton will be.

I've read a few of the Gold Key comics and some are pretty good, although the artwork is often shocking (no resemblance to most of the actors) and the writers get confused (at one point they claim Roger and Liz are spouses).

• Members

Well, the new comics should be very true to the show because they are considered "in continuity" and a direct continuation of the show, set in (I think) 1972. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the writer also wrote a series of in continuity DS books or radio dramas (I forget which), which helps to show his deep background with the property.

• Members

Thanks again for letting me know about them. I have only listened to one of the radio dramas (with Angelique and Quentin), but the comics are something I think I might enjoy more. Most of all I'm just glad the original series won't be forgotten.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Wow! I know it's already been released, but the entire series is getting an official Complete Series collection! So now instead of individually buying the DVDs for 2000+, you can get the entire series for less than 450. That's pretty amazing to think a daytime soap is considered worthy enough to not only get a film, but a complete series set.

Here's the link: http://www.welovesoaps.net/2012/01/dsdvd.html

Now I just need them to release a trailer for the film. I think this is going to be a big year for soaps on DVD.

• Members

The cheapest I've seen the complete set is for just over $500. Still a steal compared to the sets (which with the Amazon discounts--NOT list prices--come to about $1300 for all, and significantly more under list price). Kinda miffed I already have about a dozen of the sets--and I can't really afford the lump sum anytime soon anyway so I'll probably just continue to buy the regular ones whenever I get the urge and have some money--I'm already going through them fairly slowly in bursts--this and Peyton Place--so).

BluRay WOULD make sense for disc room--kinda weird they didn't do that--but many fans wanted full on HDTV transfers which is kinda ridiculous. Some people don't realize that BluRay can't really improve the image of a 1960s videotaped show... (ANd I doubt MPV would want to remaster them all yet again anyway).

Warner Bros who owns the first two films has said a late 2012 or early 2013 release for them is finally set, I assume to go with the DVD release of the Burton movie--is it under WB? I could see them doing some deluxe box set.

I haven't liked a Burton movie in years--and don't get me started about what those three did to my beloved Sweeney Todd (although to be fair they did at least keep it more faithful than they did with, say, Alice...), though I do think Carter, when not directed by her husband, is still capable of better. But I suspect the film, regardless of quality, WILL bring ina number of new fans wanting to check out the originals.