KNOTS LANDING

• Members

Perhaps, if it had been Lance and Melissa's child, or one of her daughter's children by a man she would have thought beneath the Channing/Gioberti family. Otherwise, though, I think viewers would have protested BIG time. I mean, Angela might blow up your vineyard -- and even then, I don't think she'd want to see anyone get hurt or killed -- but kidnap some woman's baby (and make her think it was dead)?

I don't think so. Say what you will about Sable and Alexis, but both women cared too much for their own children to do that to other women.

Of course, Alexis did cause Krystle's miscarriage, didn't she?

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Members

Angela seems a little softer as the show goes along but I could see the Angela of the first year or two being that cold, mostly if it involved her archenemy Chase.

I actually wish they'd done the story where only one twin was found. Val went into a real rut, in terms of story, after that wrapped up, and the show just kept having things happen to her, not having her make her own decisions or choose her own life.

• Members

Oh, I see. I didn't know that was his reasoning behind it. I can understand it (a little) but I still think it's a feeble argument: If anything, it would made the viewers much more empathetic towards Val (and she was a pretty likeable character to begin with).

I completely agree with you about what it meant to see Val go through this. They weren't afraid to take both Karen and Val to dark places and it made for very compelling, memorable drama. It just makes so much sense to me that she would react this way, especially since it was established very well, early in the series, that Val had huge issues (I hesitate to use the phrase "wasn't all well" but that's kinda how it was). Her biggest pain and regret was never getting to raise Lucy, not having her close. So, to lose her twins like that, especially when she knows they're not dead? Absolutely compelling story.

Yes, this I completely agree with. DJ and DM were right to have an issue with that. I'm so glad they didn't make her outright responsible, but complicit. It made all the difference in the world. The only one I could see doing something like this is J.R. (and he actually did, in a way, when he took Lucy away from Val). But it would have been a very, very bad move for the character especially since Abby had been through something like this herself.

Sable??? I've seen very little of her but that sounds like a character killer as well. As for Angela Channing... the way FALCON CREST was written, would it even have made a difference?

ICAM. It was actually fascinating to watch Abby's guilt and fear as she realized what had happened.

Really? I've just seen up to the part where Val first goes to the coffee shop and asks for a job. It's hard, tough and sad (and some AMAZING acting from Val) but I don't see why it would be too much for fans to deal with. After all, KL's sixth season was its highest rated (probably because of the kidnapping story).

• Members

I guess I mostly see the baby story ending when she got them back, then married Ben. Their next story after this was Ben almost cheating with Cathy (hated it), Jean Hackney (HATED it), and then some custody wrangling with Gary which led into the Jill saga. That was entertaining but was mostly done at Val's expense ("poor Val").

I think she just lost her way by that time.

I remember scenes of her looking at herself in a mirror, in lingerie (maybe?), during her mental break, and it was somewhat disturbing to me. There was just something very very sad about the whole thing which may have been too much for some viewers to bear.

• Members

Nah she actually liked the Agretti pedigree, but didnt she do it to Julia wirth Father Christopher?

I actually liked that whole twin story, especially the part where all 5 characters ended up in front of the Fisher's house, it was very dramatic

• Members

There's a difference between when fans complained that FALCON CREST was being overrun with Nazis (during the Gustav Riebmann plot) and when KL fans complained about Verna. In one case, TPTB were right to end the "Nazi booty" story earlier than scheduled because the story just was too ridiculous even for their standards. (Plus, its quick demise led to what I consider to be FC's overall best arc, w/ Cassandra Wilder and Anna Rossini.) However, when it came to Verna, I think David Jacobs used viewers' complaints merely as an excuse to truncate what already was a difficult story for him. The truth is, if viewers had a hard time with the Verna arc, then I think that particular story was doing its job!

These days, the more I think about KNOTS, the more I realize that not only did the show stray from Jacobs' original intentions but, in the end, it became the kind of show he wasn't altogether capable of running. Just like with Earl Hamner, Jr. and FC, in fact, I feel like Jacobs was much more suited to a show like "Family," which was arguably less sensational than KNOTS or even DALLAS. (Notice, too, that aside from the more grounded first mini-season, Jacobs' involvement with KNOTS' sister show was minimal, at best.) That's why KNOTS seemed to change tone several times throughout its run. The difference between them and FC, though, was that KNOTS generally had better actors and writers. Otherwise, KNOTS easily could've ended up suffering the same fate as FC.

Edited by Khan

• Members

Khan, I don't believe you! I think the Nazi storyline on Falcon Crest was great. I didn't mind the story being wrapped up early, but overall it was a great umbrella story involving the entire cast and the first time Falcon Crest fulfilled their potential. I think season four as a whole is by far the best season. Seasons Four & Nine are the only ones I think were truly great and well thought out. The first three years were decent, but full of filler and at times dull and plot driven. After season four things just became ridiculous and plot driven.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...