OLTL week of August 18, 2008

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Administrator

Today's episode was the best in a while. OLTL is really good when it does stuff like this - the psychology and the contrast/compare of situations (Bo/Asa with Shane/Brody; Marty dreaming about John with John dreaming about Marty). I really liked today's breakdown.

• Members

Yeah, it was nice to see Easton and Haskell on screen together. This was the first time, wasn't it?

Although I firmly believe the only way to end this story is with Todd's murder. Although RIGHT BEFORE he gets it, he needs to totally be at peace with who he is, redeemed in his own mind by amnesiac-Marty's acceptance of him. RC said a great thing in the spoiler thread (no spoilers, don't worry), where he wanted to see where Todd and Marty would be had the rape never happened. It's really fascinating. I really think Todd needs to finally forgive HIMSELF for the rape, let go of all the anger towards Blair, Starr, John, his father, etc... really be at peace - and then gets a bullet between the eyes. LOL!

• Administrator

I read it (glad there wasn't any spoilers though) because I just had to read what RC had to say about this storyline! One of my favorite parts is when he said, "I'd like to watch it unfold a beat a time, a day at a time, a week at a time....." Like RC, I'm anticipating Marty getting her memory back, "This is not the same Marty and to me, it's fascinating to watch because you're wondering if and when it is all going to come tumbling down." Same here and I love it that he's slowly telling the story. This is the most intriguing storyline that has happened in daytime in such a long time.

• Members

Well, it's twofold. For Marty's side of things, she's not the same person and she's met this seemingly-charming man. But in the real world, in the larger context, yes, she is the same person with an impaired mental capacity. So while to Marty it may be conceivable, to us and to RC (hopefully) it should be totally unacceptable. I think it is unacceptable to him, but I think he is still playing with the dynamic and I can't fault him for that personally.

I think you're right. BUT, we mustn't forget that under these circumstances, with Marty being who she is now and Todd having lied about everything, that Todd has no right to forgive himself.

• Members

Just finished watching Tuesday’s episode and I was really surprised. The episode was great in contrasting different facets of the human psyche. Bo overcoming his father’s death and making peace with himself and Asa was great. Seeing he ease between these 2 actors I felt as if I was eavesdropping on a real conversation between a father and son. Phil Carey is great and sorely missed and I’ll take him in any form One Life can come up with. Robert Woods was also amazing and for the first time since Asa`s death, I feel like RC is finally getting the character of Bo.

I also liked the darkness of John and Marty’s dream sequences dealing with his possible guilt for getting involved with Blair and what I think is Marty slowly getting her memory back. More importantly what I got from her dream is that she is slowly getting a sense of herself back. She has learned enough about herself that I think her instincts are starting to kick in again. Her mind was trying to tell her to not trust Todd but because her memories of him are not there she can’t justify why not to trust him.

Over all I thought Tuesday was fascinating. It truly has been a long time since I`ve seen this much psychology in one episode of a soap. Keep it coming One Life.

• Members

OK, this whole Tess crap is ANNOYING ME. How the hell could Natalie not see something is up with Jessica? Jessica DOES NOT act that quirky and blunt.

Oh and Jessica just mentioned to Natalie, "Nash used to tell me he wished he grew up like WE did." Um, I know this is Tess, but Tess would know Jessica didn't grow up with Natalie, and Natalie had a very unstable childhood. And people wonder why OLTL's scriptwriters aren't looked upon too highly...

• Members

Yeah, Tuesday's eppy was something else, wasn't it? It was dark and chilling, IMO. Those Marty/John scenes had so much subtext and so many angles and sides to them that I reveled in the complexity of it all! And the parallels of Blair sleeping next to John and Todd sleeping next to Mary only deepened the eeriness of those sequences. I want to see more shows like this!

Archived